Author Topic: FS Open Problem- Burned Disk  (Read 1882 times)

FS Open Problem- Burned Disk
I downloaded FS Open using Turey's Installer to my laptop (because I have Highspeed at college but not at home) which doesn't have enough juice to run FS Open.  I burned all of the files onto a DVD and then transferred them to my home computer.  When I try to run FS Open on my home computer it tells me that I can't run the launcher because of some "binary" problem.  Has anyone experienced this before? I have no idea what to do.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: FS Open Problem- Burned Disk
Make sure none of the files are read-only. That can happen when you burn to DVD.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you still have problems, try using the MD5 troubleshooter (see my sig).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I suspect I know the problem. You ran FS2_Open then transferred it, right? And then you installed on the desktop to a different folder to the one on the laptop, right?

Cause what would happen if you did that would be that the launcher6.ini file would be looking for FS2_Open in the wrong folder and would give you the message The launcher must be in the same directory as the binary you are trying to use."

This is a pretty easy fix. Open launcher6.ini in notepad and change

Code: [Select]
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = F:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe;

into

Code: [Select]
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe;

The problem should then go away when you run the launcher. And yes I realise the irony of telling you to edit a file which tells you not to edit it in big letters. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks guys! I'm back at school and away from my home PC at the moment so I'll have to try it when I'm home again for Thanksgiving.