Author Topic: FS Open - Problem with secondary weapons in loadout screen  (Read 1952 times)

Offline SeeksTheTruth

• Firewarden
FS Open - Problem with secondary weapons in loadout screen
OK, here's my second question of the evening: In the weapons select screen, I'm getting some really small secondary weapon icons and what appear to be really small ship icons as well. The weird part is that the primary icons are fine, *and* I get the snazzy new hardpoint animations for the rotating ship model. But when I select a secondary weapon, I get a really vanilla image:

I believe I have all the correct media vps installed (I re-DL'd the mv_zpack and the three '710'  vp files from WMCoolmon's thread).  And I think I correctly followed the launcher walkthru from Kalfirth's thread here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=0lt2ohukj6k3e97ubhskl2bsq5&topic=47640.0.

Here's a snapshot of my FS Folder:

(The stuff w/ the 'Z' in front of the folder name is just my archive of old files. I'll del them eventually)

I also think I tried playing the opening Derelict mission and the pirate fighters in my gunsites looked great, but the target in the status box at the bottom left of the HUD was as vanilla as the secondaries were in the weapons select screen.

So, where'd I mess this up?
Life Sucks. But Death doesn't put out at all...

"Rule # 34: If you're leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun."
~Schlockmercenary

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: FS Open - Problem with secondary weapons in loadout screen
Not every thing is HTL.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You basically have two choices. FS2_Open allows you to use automatically generated images for ships and weapons or pre-generated ones. The launcher is set up to use the autogen ones. If you go to the launcher and change Features->Gameplay->Use models for ship selection to be unticked it will use the stuff from the retail VP files.

The quality of the missile models can be improved but right now people are concentrating on improving the ships for the most part.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SeeksTheTruth

• Firewarden
OK, thanks for that. It wasn't effecting gameplay (other than being a bit of a pain to select wpns), but I wasn't sure if I'd just missed a media VP somewhere. I still find it odd that the primaries are the same as the retail version, but the secondaries are 'generic' for lack of a better term. But I can certainly understand modelers wanting to focus their time and attention on the ships themselves. :)

I appreciate the help!

Life Sucks. But Death doesn't put out at all...

"Rule # 34: If you're leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun."
~Schlockmercenary

There's a good reason for that: The only time you ever see the primary weapon model is in the loadout screen or the Tech Room.  Primary weapons don't have a physical presence in game that gets rendered, unlike missiles or ships.  Hence, no model to use.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.