Author Topic: SCP 3.6.9 Audio Trouble  (Read 3713 times)

Offline papDs

SCP 3.6.9 Audio Trouble
Hi,

I am having trouble with the audio in SCP. When I go into the ready room, the audio is full of static and studders while they explain the mission. Any other time the audio is fine. My audio card is up to date.
I used Turey's installer.

I did find this post, but I don't see the file.....

The easiest fix is to add "SoundSampleRate=44100" (w/o the quotes) the the "[Default]" section of your ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini file.

Help please!!!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: SCP 3.6.9 Audio Trouble
are you on linux?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline papDs

Ahh... Now I know where I have seen that file structure....

No, I am not on Linux. I am on Windows.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
what sound card?
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline papDs

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital (Dell),

Offline papDs

I went to Creative's site and used the Software updater. It says I have the most up-to-date driver.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I have a SB Live! 5.1 PCI card... hmm, I haven't had this problem.  Try downloading the latest OpenAL from www.openal.org ?

Offline papDs

My Version:
OpenAL Installer for Windows     Updated on 7/12/2007    
Updated Summer 2007 : Version 2.0.3

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That's correct.. latest.  Hmm, do you have a dual-core or quad-core?  If so, lock the FS Open process to the second or more core... See if that helps.

Offline papDs

I have a 2.8GHZ Pentium 4 HT. Pardon my ignorance....How do you lock the FS Open process to the second or more core?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
I have a 2.8GHZ Pentium 4 HT. Pardon my ignorance....How do you lock the FS Open process to the second or more core?

P4 is not dual core, IIRC. However, if I'm remembering wrong, then you go into task manager, right click on the freespace exe name, and set affinity.

Offline papDs

The HT Procs show up in windows as two processors even though there is only one CPU. I guess it could be thought of as a virtual dual core.

Recommendations?

Offline papDs

Affinity had no affect. I tried setting CPU 0 alone and CPU 1 alone. No change.

Any other suggestions?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm... Creative's driver support absolutely sucks, I'll have you know... I have the dickens of a time trying to just get my card to work at all.. once its done, it works fine, but it takes me a few hours to get it running.. it keeps saying "no Creative hardware found", even though I bought the darned thing straight from Staples, and it's sitting in my computer.  Updating is impossible, IIRC.  So, just because it says you have the latest drivers, I wouldn't trust it... under (in start menu > programs > creative) Creative System Information, under Creative Products tab, Creative Product ID > Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, what is your Driver version?  Mine is 1.4.0

Offline papDs

I set disable vertical sync. The sound is now working.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ah, good... and,

:welcomeblue:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I set disable vertical sync. The sound is now working.

One of those  :wtf:-fixes of the decade, eh?

:lol:

I cannot fathom how it is possible that a thing like that could have such an effect. But I've said before - if there's one thing I've learned to accept with computers that if something fixes a problem, never mind how illogical or irrational it may be - just use the fix and be happy. :rolleyes:

I just had an interesting fight with getting Baldur's Gate II SoA to play properly. It's been working fine for weeks, then yesterday evening the menus all started flickering and the mouse cursor started leaving trail everywhere it went -> unplayable with hazard of epilepsy invoked. Finally I resolved that something went wrong (don't ask what) in the NVidia's display drivers, because the software OpenGL renderer worked fine in 3D mode but default OpenGL driver went flickery all the time. Finally I reverted to an older driver which worked fine before I stupidly updated to the newest ForceWare drivers - and now I'm (again) using Quadro drivers in conjunction with my GeForce card.

Solves the problem, but I'm still kinda banging my head to the proverbial wall thinking why the hell these things happen. It's pretty much against everything NVidia tells the customers to do, and against most other common sense things, but Quadro drivers just happen to work better on my card/system combination than ForceWare drivers.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
and now I'm (again) using Quadro drivers in conjunction with my GeForce card.
It's pretty much against everything NVidia tells the customers to do, and against most other common sense things, but Quadro drivers just happen to work better on my card/system combination than ForceWare drivers.

Quadro cards are, IIRC, business models, and their drivers get better testing. I've yet to have a problem of any sort with my Quadro card.