Author Topic: Crashes during/upon completion of load + No GLSL  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Crashes during/upon completion of load + No GLSL
I just did a clean install (using Turey's installer, as it so happens), and I am getting the same error I had reinstalled in order to get rid of:

When the loading bar is done filling up, it crashes. I can't play anything. If I remember right, I was able to get it not to do that by disabling the mediavps, but that gets a  :no: in my book...

I am on an Intel graphics card, if that makes any difference.

Also, on another topic, how do I get GLSL to work? Neither my desktop nor my laptop seem to want to run it, and my laptop is brand new (less than six months old)... in fact, I was especially hoping that it would fix the problem that I had with my desktop, but I get the same problems on the laptop...

As always, help is appreciated.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Crashes during/upon completion of load + No GLSL
You could try moving the mediaVPs out of the folder to somewhere else temporarily then add them back in one at a time, until you find the offending vp. As for GLSL, I'm not sure that Intel cards are capable of it? They usually lack a lot of what Nvidia/ATI cards have and are usually budget graphics chips or integrated onto the motherboards. You could try updating your drivers? Can't say that would work, but you could give it a try. My suggestion is to get a better graphics card for your desktop, (seeing as you can't for your laptop).
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ok I will do that, but I'd like to note first that the way the error occurs, there is no message other than "An error has occurred" or whatever, even in debug mode, and that it is very difficult to get the desktop to show up when the loading screen was the last thing displayed, the reason for this I know not.

*Crosses fingers and tries different mediavps, in windowed mode*

Edit: The offending vp seems to be mv_adveffects.vp, but without that, won't I lose half the awesome?

Edit: I have no idea what the problem is, because now when I try to play Blue Planet it does the same exact thing on mission 1. It also used to do it running just mediavps (no other mods) before i clean installed this morning.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:17:37 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Um, you stated that you had an Intel graphics card, but what are the rest of the computer specs?

And yes mv_adveffects.vp would be very offensive on a low/mid range computer. I would be very surprised that you were able to run that vp on an Intel card, at least at a decent framerate?!!  :wtf:

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It's an Intel 945, which i believe is rather new-ish, and it USED to run fine on my laptop, until after I tried to get GLSL to work. It could be driver issues, but i don't know for certain.

Edit: No effect...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:31:39 pm by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The entire thing seems to have been solved by disabling -img2dds

Further investigation of this issue would be appreciated.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Integrated graphics cards are unlikely to have shader 3 support and therefore will not run GLSL.  If disabling compression is alleviating the crashes, I'd guess you're running into memory problems with your video card (I'm guessing it's an onboard).  What GPU is it running?  Intel is just the manufacturer... it should have an nVidia or ATI GPU sitting on it.

I've run into those sorts of crashes too, but only in unstable builds.

What build are you running?  3.6.9?  Try running the debug build and posting the log after a crash.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
What GPU is it running?  Intel is just the manufacturer... it should have an nVidia or ATI GPU sitting on it.

Nah! Intel manufacture their own (rather crappy) GPU's.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What GPU is it running?  Intel is just the manufacturer... it should have an nVidia or ATI GPU sitting on it.

Nah! Intel manufacture their own (rather crappy) GPU's.
Their GPU's aren't that bad actually.  It's the drivers that still pretty much suck, even though their driver team kicks ass and will frequently fix many dozens of bugs/issues in each new release.  They don't suck in the overly buggy way that ATI users are accustomed to, but in the sense that the drivers don't allow for full use of the hardware (for instance: the current/newer hardware is capable of OGL 2.0 and GLSL, but the drivers aren't).  Basically, the Intel drivers just have a lot of growing up to do.