Author Topic: joystick (saitek x52) problem with FS2O  (Read 2225 times)

Offline alisbin

joystick (saitek x52) problem with FS2O
hey all,
i've got a weird problem with my joystick that primarily presents in FS2O and i'm trying to determine if its the joystick or maybe some problem it has with FS2O that could be corrected.

ok, the problem: seemingly at random my joystick (a saitek x52) gets its center messed up (so x0  y0 becomes x12 y1 for example, there doesnt seem to be a pattern in the mistake). thus i drift at center which can be a major problem in the middle of a dogfight. i've figured out an easy fix, but it requires pausing the game so i can't do it in multiplayer.

what i've tried: i've tried 3 different versions of the x52 software/drivers and i've tried using and not using a profile. i've tried running it directly into my computer and running it through a powered USB hub (in case its a power problem). i have NOT tried an older version of FS2O because i'm capped for downloading with my current ISP so its not currently possible to get the older files. i've tried running the 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 with and without command line options.

what i think i know: i have no reason to suspect a power or a driver problem, i've tested/updated both many times. i am pretty sure its related to FS2O because i've tested it extensively in the following games: mechwarrior 4, starlancer and xwing alliance. none of them ever seemed to present the problem.

what i'd LIKE to know: is there anything in FS2O that could be causing this and if so how could i fix it.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: joystick (saitek x52) problem with FS2O
Yeah, my X52 started doing that too after the post-3.6.9 builds. I figured it was just a faulty connection or something, because my LEDs would flash whenever the joystick would go off-center and propel me to the left or right (I can't remember which way mine went.)

Good catch, though. Taylor's the dude who handles the joystick code (as well as just about everything else related to what actually makes the game run :P). You might want to Mantis this.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
My X-52 Pro does none of that. Could be that it is a Pro, or it could be that I have not yet (and will probably never) install the Saitek software.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline alisbin

having or not having the software (or using a different version of it) doesnt seem to change anything, i'll try to mantis it as soon as i can get confirmed on manits.
cobra: i thought for awhile it was a cable thing too, but i doubt it, since it works fine in other games

Offline alisbin

can't seem to get mantis to send me a confirmation email, if you have an account would you post the problem cobra?

Offline alisbin

oh and just as a note to x52 owners having this problem, the fix is to unplug and replug the stick unit (JUST the stick). not really helpful in an online game i know, but it is dealable for mission play.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, that was my first thought in fixing it. Annoying as hell. And I'll post it for you.

[EDIT] It's on Mantis now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:29:58 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline alisbin

thanks mate, hopefully its an easy fix