Author Topic: BtRL Ridiculous Load Times  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
BtRL Ridiculous Load Times
I'm not sure if this is meant to happen, but I'm getting an absolutely ridiculous load time for BtRL, starting up can take anywhere between 2-10 minutes, but loading missions is by far the worst. Anything between 5-45 minutes. It turned me off even touching the thing till this afternoon. Gameplay is reasonably good, not much frame rate drop.

My Specs are

- Processor, 1.86 ghz Dual Core
- Graphics Card, nVidia GeForce 7600 GS with 256mbs of Graphics RAM
- RAM, 2 GBs

I tried running it standalone, but I deduced it may work better running it as a mod thru the most recent nightly build and mvps from my normal freespace directory but it doesn't make a difference. I've defragged the folder and nothing seems to really help it much. I tried using the updater to dl the patch, but it doesn't dl anything. If this is in the wrong section I'd trust the mods to be all over it and move it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BtRL Ridiculous Load Times
MVPs won't help; I believe. BtRL uses entirely custom assets.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
MVPs won't help; I believe. BtRL uses entirely custom assets.

Well I just stated mvps because they were present in my freespace folder, in hindsight I realise without a mod .ini they would have little relevance to the problem.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Does BTRL include IBX files?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Does BTRL include IBX files?

Yeah, just looking through the cache now I'm seeing a few. From their names I'm guessing their background files (desertplanet2.ibx etc)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What virus checker are you using? In the past we had a number of people report problems due to their virus checker's dislike of the big VP file. Several of them even reported solving the problem by extracting everything and deleting the VP file.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
What virus checker are you using? In the past we had a number of people report problems due to their virus checker's dislike of the big VP file. Several of them even reported solving the problem by extracting everything and deleting the VP file.

That sounds like I good idea, I'll get back once I've tried it.