Author Topic: Damage Lightning Graphical Bug [SOLVED]  (Read 7931 times)

Offline wes471

Re: Damage Lightning Graphical Bug [SOLVED]
Nope, still makes everything invisible.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
..... Well.

Okay, the next test will be really simple, and after that, I'll be out of ideas until the weekend.

Open Main-V.sdr and find this:
Code: [Select]
#ifndef FLAG_NORMAL_MAP
add_light(0);
add_light(1);
add_light(2);
add_light(3);
add_light(4);
add_light(5);
add_light(6);
add_light(7);
#else
add_light(1);
add_light(2);
add_light(3);
add_light(4);
add_light(5);
add_light(6);
add_light(7);
#endif

And turn it into this:
Code: [Select]
add_light(0);
add_light(1);
add_light(2);
add_light(3);
add_light(4);
add_light(5);
add_light(6);
add_light(7);

Sadly, that's probably going to work, but I'm not going to cross my fingers on it and I actually hope it doesn't.

If it does work, then also make sure if you tick "No Normal Map" in the  Render Options that they don't go black there.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline wes471

You're in luck, it didn't work, still makes it invisible. But Truth is out there, don't give up.  :nod:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Hmmm. Okay. At this point, it should have done something, and it should not have made it invisible.

To clarify, these .sdr files went in to the Freespace2\MediaVPs\Data\Effects, not Freespace2\Data\Effects, right?

Because if the regular mediavp shaders that are in 3.6.10 work for lighting (with the exception of weapons effects on ENV), then so to should the original Unified Shader package. There should be no invisibility or "black" ships with either of them save in the second set and only if/when -normal is turned off.

On the upshot, all this tinkering made me discover that the -height option broke the unified shaders, so I was able to correct that, at least.

The down side is, I'm now even more confused as to why nothing is working the way that it should. Some folks have suggested that it's because you are using Omega drivers, but I'm dis-inclined to believe that, having used them myself. But it is about the only option left that I can think of as part of the troubleshooting would be to use the same version ATI drivers that the Omega drivers you are using are based on.

It's entirely up to you on that one though because I know driver swapping is not always fun, and I've never seen deficits from running Omega drivers.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline wes471

To clarify, these .sdr files went in to the Freespace2\MediaVPs\Data\Effects, not Freespace2\Data\Effects, right?
That is correct.

About omega drivers - I actually removed them completely ever since I found out about this problem, and to be honest I tried every driver from 6.2 until 9.3 (I know that's probably crazy and don't worry I know all about fully removing drivers with DriverCleaner and everything before installing new). Support for normal maps began with catalyst 6.8 all the way to 8.6 or 8.7 then it broke completely. Right now I use 7.4 which is the fastest and last driver before hd series cards.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
7.4 is actually a driver I would recommend for that card.

So, would you be willing to re-run the tests with a debug build and just look at the "Compiling Shaders" section and tell me if any of them state any errors or warnings?

To clarify, MediaVP, Unified, Unified Test 2, Test 2 with above changes. I only need to know about any of them (and naturally, which one it was) that indicates something breaking.

And another option is available: Copy the aitoglxx.dll into the Freespace2 directory, and then install a newer version of the drivers (unless there are other applications also havng issues with post 7.4)

¤[D+¬>

Offline wes471

And another option is available: Copy the aitoglxx.dll into the Freespace2 directory, and then install a newer version of the drivers (unless there are other applications also havng issues with post 7.4)
Trust me I tried all posible combinations, yours included.

Okay, here goes the tests:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
This is why we don't normally reuse posts, especially ones already marked solved.  There's been two more issues reported in this one, at least one is still unsolved.  Can someone split this so wes might get some more help if he needs it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays