Author Topic: Can't brighten game in options...  (Read 1309 times)

Offline nodlew

Can't brighten game in options...
First--Howdy! I first played FreeSpace2 two or three years ago and was suitably blown away by the story line and the amazing detail of the game. Love at first sight. An original unopened copy of FreeSpace 2 was the first thing I bid on and won on EBay. It turns out I could have bought the game cheaper elsewhere, but I was happy.

Now I'm back and very much enjoying the Mods that have been made using the SCP. Especially the FreeSpace 1 port, which I'd never played. Great to get all of that back story.

Using Mods, I've run into various problems and solved them by researching these forums by my lonesome. I've finally emerged from my Closet of Lurk because I have run into an issue that I can't seem to figure out and (amazingly) there don't seem to be any posts specifically related to fixing it.

I'm using various builds--but mostly fs2 open 3-6-10 for Windows, apparently the very latest build. My only problem is that I can't seem to increase the brightness of the game in the Options screen. Clicking the arrow to brighten things up only brightens the text on the screen, everything else remains very dark. I can circumvent the problem by ramping up Gamma in Riva Tuner, or Nvidia Control panel, but doing this makes my desktop so bright it hurts my eyes and I have to adjust it every time I play and every time I quit.

Any suggestions anyone?

Oh, and one more thing--I get no visible weapon graphics when I try to play Blue Planet. The effects of the weapons are there, but the lasers and cannon rounds are invisible. ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
nodlew

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Can't brighten game in options...
For the Blue Planet issue, you need to be using the MediaVPs. Do you have those?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For your first problem, make sure the "Disable setting of Gamma" checkbox isn't marked.
If that isn't the case, generate a debug log and post it here.

BTW, doesn't the nvidia control panel give you the option of doing some game-specific settings?

As for Blue Planet, I am a bit amazed that you missed the BP Troubleshooting thread....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline nodlew

I have the Media Vps, thanks for the quick reply General.  Maybe my version is incomplete or corrupt somehow, I'll see about downloading and installing it again.

As to the first issue--I'll look into the Disable Gamma option. Didn't know about it.

Blue Planet--I hadn't researched that problem yet. I just kinda tossed that in there while I was addressing the other problem.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see if they result in a fix.

Offline nodlew

The E--I didn't have Disable Setting of Gamma checked, so just for the hell of it, I checked it, tried the game (didn't work of course), then unchecked it and tried the game at which time the Gamma kicked it after a couple clicks. Must be a glitch of some kind related to my particular graphics drivers. Anyway, that problem is apparently solved. Thanks.

Offline nodlew

Thanks to y'all and the Blue Planet troubleshooting thread, all current problems are solved, creating a vacuum into which new problems will emerge.
Thanks.