Author Topic: some newbie housekeeping issues  (Read 1217 times)

some newbie housekeeping issues
Hi Everyone,

I'm totally new to the boards, so hello!

I just purchased freespace2 from gog and am installing the "the works". Can't wait to try it!

I had a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to on the boards. First, what is the procedure for uninstalling. Yes, hopefully I will never have to do that, but it's good to know just in case. It is as simple as running the gog uninstall file or because of the addons there are now extra steps?

Second, how does one upgrade when the next FS2open version come out. Will the automated jar installer do it or is it a more manual process?

Thank you for your help!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: some newbie housekeeping issues
Uninstalling is simple, just run the gog uninstaller, then delete everything the fso installer downloaded.

And yes, the automated installer is updated when new releases of the engine are coming out. You can do it manually by downloading engine builds,  placing them in the FS2 install directory, and selecting them in the Launcher.

Note that the installer's engine builds are only updated for official releases, there are nightly builds from our development branch available here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=173.0
There are also the occasional test builds, distributed to test experimental features: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=97.0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Sweet thanks! I'm assuming the installer puts everything into \Games\Freespace2, so I don't have to hunt around my hard drive? Just delete the whole thing?

I'm assuming for the automated installer, it's just the "update" option, then last option if I remember?

Also, is there an easy way to delete some of the mods? My windows partition is only 100 gigs and most of that is tied up with some statistical programs and mass effect? When ME3 comes out I'll need the space!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:02:42 am by The E »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You should point the installer at the directory where FS2 is installed (You may have to run it with admin priviledges for that).

As for the mods, if you're done playing them, just delete the mod folder.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If you pointed the installer at FreeSpace2, that's where it'll put everything.

Delete mods when you're done with them. The biggest offenders will be voice acted campaigns, which are also usually among the best ones. Play first, delete first?