In this topic
I described a rather similar problem, with the difference that "Freespace 2 stopped working" when it happened.
After some testing I found a solution for my problem, in setting various compatibility flags in the properties of the .exe. After I initially tried 4 options I narrowed it down to two:
- campatibility mode: Windows 7
(which stands for Windows 7 32bit I guess, so it might help those who, like me, run a 64bit Windows)
Since running the .exe with these compatibility flags I had no more crashes. It might not help with the "lag", but I figured I'd mention it anyway, just in case...