Author Topic: Startup error.  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ElwinSp

Hello everyone, first of all I would like to thank all of the people that have been putting such a great ammount of job in this game, I am really looking forward to it. I must apologise if my current problem is solved elsewhere but i have read the faq and searched the forum and google to no avail. I will now try to describe it. I apologise beacouse the ammount of information and complexity can be ... overwhelming. I would really appreciate if you would help a noob such as me.

I have the freespace 2 from GOG. I ran it at first to see it worked and it did fine, and after a couple of training missions i decided to install the freespace open by using a downloader and selecting "the works" option that included everything.

I am using the latest 3.6.12r INFERNO build with launcher 5.5g. I have tried to follow every path described in the installation guides including the deleting from data2,3, checking the vp files in freespace folder and making the changes in the launcher. The only thing that I may have not done right (as far as I know) is not installing the v1.2 patch. I tried installing it after I installed Freespacesource but it did not work and some places say the GOG version already has the v1.2 version.

When I tried to run the game for the first time i got the following error message

A minimum texture size of "1024x1024" is required for FS2_Open but only "512x512" was found.  Can not continue.
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 33 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF.exe! <no symbol>

I thought maybe that was due to using advanced graphics so i deselected the vp graphics from the mod section but the problem remained the same. Afterwards I used the d version to get a log as described in the troubleshooting faq, i think its the file i attach to this post.

I have a rather crappy computer (one of the reasons im playing old games). And I would be happy to play without the new shiny graphics were it neccesary.

My graphic card is Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family. As far as i know im using the latest drivers. Thanks for your help

PS: Oh and im using Vista

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:34:26 am by ElwinSp »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Woa. Looks like you card doesn't support textures larger than 512x512 ? That doesn't seem right. Intelgrateds usually s*ck hairy balls, but not THAT much. I know my GMA945 on my crapbook can do 2048x2048, like most low-end cards nowadays.

Try to update your drivers ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I'd definitely suspect bad drivers as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ElwinSp

I just double checked it. My drivers are up to date. The thing is ... I dont understand why I was able to run it without source and now it wont run with source. I say WAS beacouse something funny has happened. When i tried to run Freespace from the old exe without open i can get in the game all right but when Im in the deck and choose to continue a campaign it asks for Cd2. What cd2? Strange...

Now I cant run neither of them
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:49:57 am by ElwinSp »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FreeSpace 2 shipped on 2 CDs. The original game will ask for these at some point.

Also note that retail FS2 had far less demanding hardware requirements (not that basic FSO is much more demanding; the only difference are the APIs used to generate graphics and sounds).

And yes, this is very definitely a driver error. Those chipsets have a max texture size of 2048^2 with all driver versions.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ElwinSp

I asked about the cd problem beacosue im using the GOG version (and thus without CD).

Its strange about the drivers. I mean I checked it with the intel driver aplicattion and it said my graphic drivers were up to date so Im quite lost on what should my next step be.

For now I will just unistall and install everything again ....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The latest drivers for the Intel Mobile 965 should be here  Try (re)installing all of the latest drivers, see if that knocks the problem out.