Author Topic: [WIP] SCv Moloch  (Read 30867 times)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?

Just a tease so people can quit worrying... I am working on it :D

Why no p3D: I can't waste time fielding questions about things that aren't final or relevant, nor removing those items for the 3D model. When its much closer, I will.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
UUuuuunfff

highly good. ribs show impressive adversity in the face of neatness
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
YES, the bigger sibling of the Rak is on it's way.
The family will be reunited, and I'm thrilled at the thought.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We once thought that MediaVPs 2014 would be the year of the Shivan... But then Oddgrim arrived. Well, Rga is back so expect the Shivans to receive an exciting finale.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Tomo

This scares me.

Brilliant work!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I hope the texture will resemble original one much more, than textures of Rakshasa and Sathanas. Great work :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Luis Dias

omg when I saw Rga the other day posting I was happy, but I didn't expect this at all :D. Great start with the ship!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I hope the texture will resemble original one much more, than textures of Rakshasa and Sathanas. Great work :yes:
That was my only quarrel with the new Rakh. (Which is still awesome) The texts. lost a lot of the detail :v: gave it.

This Moloch is looking sweet. :D

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
That's actually common in newer FSU models. They're loosing their original details, in favor of something different. Both on model, and texture level. The new Leviathan for example completly lost the feel of original design. That's why I request for keeping textures in similar style to original ones here.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wow guys, lay off the past work. The Rak, in particular, matched the retail texture quite well in that there was no texture detail that wasn't modeled in. Go look at it. The retail Rak's texture was plain black with ribbing over red glows. Rga's Rak is plain black with modeled ribbing over red glows. Check your facts before posting nonsense.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
I concur with mjnmixael here, the (newer) rak is a fantastic update and follows the retail textures quite well, people seem to forget that the source matrial we are working with are well over 14 years old 256x2 images.
And betrayal: That remark was not necessary.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Artistic choice is exactly that. Lets try and keep the disagreements civil (if we must have them at all).

And lets also not drift discussion to encompass other works and keep it on focus to this threads model specifically please.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Beautifull work, I'm glad you're back!  :yes: :yes:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Is it just me, or does it look a bit like a Reaper? :) Though that's not a bad thing for a Shivan ship.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
fantastic work there
and for the record: the rak is one of the best HTL's i've seen so far, it catches the spirit of the original perfectly
just as this moloch seems to do
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline An4ximandros

Is it just me, or does it look a bit like a Reaper?
It is not a thing you can comprehend. Every civilization must be destroyed in order to bring order to the chaos. It is inevitable. ;)

PS: Axem, JAD. You know what to do. :P

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
O u guys...

So I'm just going to say this about the Moloch: It will follow retail fairly closely. But, where V has no detail, I will use my imagination to fill in the gaps. I will also interpret the detail they do have however I would like. If you have commentary on my interpretations, I am all ears. If you say something vague like "It's not retail enough" or "it just doesn't have the same feel" you can expect to be completely ignored UNLESS you provide an actual example as to what it should it look like to fix the issue.

The it's-not-retail-enough critique is like homeopathy. Sounds okay until any real scrutiny is applied. Then it falls on its face due to inconsistency, irrelevance, and lunacy. The reason is that if you look at a retail model, you will find that it is impossible to recreate it to today's standard without using some imagination and creativity to get there. If you don't believe me, look at the retail Sath or retail Hatshepsut.

Look at the side of the Sath and tell me... what would you add there? Would you just model in the texture detail exactly how it is, tile for tile, and leave it alone? Surely not, I don't think anyone would agree to that. So there must be a line. Unless you plan on defining that line to me, you'll be ignored.

Anywho, back to the Moloch. Maybe more screenies in a few hours, we'll see how far I get.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline An4ximandros

Well, I'd like to say my piece about the Rakh then. Where is Retail, it had a lot of red "bleeding" through the ribs. Your model looks more like a few lights stuck on the rib gaps.

To me, it mutes the contrast of colors the Retail Rakh had. As a consequence it looses "life" and falls into the "Generic Gray Space Ship" spectrum.
What I loved of the original is that it had that Homeworld-esque feel of "colorful (alien) utility."
It is still an excellent model and fantastic texture work. But it looses a few points with me.
And I think you should have put more hexagons in your texture :P
Is this a good example of feedback, Rga?

I much look forward to seeing what you do with the Moloch, because it was the Retail Shivan ship I liked the least. :)

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
It is usable feedback, for sure, but its in the wrong thread :D

"I much look forward to seeing what you do with the Moloch, because it was the Retail Shivan ship I liked the least."

Me too.