Author Topic: Cutscene Lag  (Read 1164 times)

Hello. I am new here. On my installation of Freespace Open, I have issues relating to laggy cutscenes. Nothing else lags, only the cutscenes. I know for sure this happens on the FSPort Intro, at around where the Volition, Inc. logo comes up, it starts lagging... a lot. The main menu doesn't lag, the game doesn't lag, nothing else lags. I not too sure if this happens on other cutscenes. I am running it on a Windows tablet (Yes I know, but it's portable) with an Intel Atom Z3740. The cutscenes do not lag in VLC Media Player. It also doesn't lag on my desktop PC. I find it odd that my tablet can render complex 3D scenes with the MediaVPs but not a simple video.

EDIT: Forgot to say I am running the latest Nightly.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:42:44 pm by BentLent »

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
I know the request would be to give out the log.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:14:06 pm by TheHound »
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Just generated one. Doesn't seem to have anything error related relating to cutscenes. Hmm.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Which resolution of the fsport intro are you using? I don't believe that FSO can play the 1080p version reliably without stuttering yet. And to be honest, VLC probably has better video playback performance than FSO does.

Also, Intel video cards sometime have problems with shaders and FSO uses shaders to play video.  You could try adding this command line option in the launcher to disable shaders and see if that makes a difference?

Advanced Settings Tab -> Troubleshoot -> Disable GLSL (shader) support  (aka -no_glsl).

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

The resolution of the video is 640x320 according to VLC Player. Disabling GLSL did not fix the problem, so we can rule that out.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sorry, I don't have any other useful ideas  :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...