Author Topic: Problems with FSO Launcher  (Read 3346 times)

Problems with FSO Launcher
Hello, I have recently reinstalled Freespace and FSO and have run into... a little trouble.

I have installed the current MediaVPs and Builds and when I select the Build i want to use in the Windows Launcher it crashes. Please Help.

Re: Problems with FSO Launcher
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

The instructions there state that the log is produced once the game has started, however since I cannot select debug in the launcher without it crashing before the game runs. I dont see how i could make one unless im missing something obvious (knowing me I probably am).

Anyways thanks for responding.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hang on, is it the build that's crashing, or the Launcher? Also, can you please give us a few more details? Like, what OS are you using, which Launcher, and which executable?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Sorry. Uhhh its the Launcher which is Crashing. Im currently using Windows Vista. The executable is fred2_open_3_7_0_SSE.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh.

That explains it then. You're starting the wrong executable, FRED is the mission editor and doesn't need to be launched through the Launcher, the build you need to select is called fs2_open_3_7_0_SSE.exe.

Actually that was a Typo. I copyed and pasted the wrong one sorry. Its actually fs2_open_3_7_0_SSE. I wasnt actually attempting to select FRED in the Launcher.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, so, could you give us more details about the crash? Are there any messages being generated?

Also, you can just start the FSO executable by itself; if you do that, you can generate a log which you can post here.

It kinda just stops nothing happens, the little bar at the top stays empty for a few seconds then it crashes.

Also, is the log called fs2_open.txt?

The log is called fs2_open.log, it should be located in Freespace 2\data

Here.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh! Have you installed OpenAL or OpenAL Soft?

I have Open AL.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Strange, then.

Going by the log, I can't see any immediate issue (apart from the failed audio device initialization, I have never seen that happen).

Have you tried wxLauncher?

wxlauncher just crashes when i click on it. It says unable to output to wxlauncher.log. Then another box comes up and says the program had a runtime error.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:13:52 am by Mammothtank »

Is there any way to use the Graphical upgrades or any of the mods without a Launcher?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You could probably create a file called cmdline_fso.cfg (make sure there's no hidden .txt extension on the end of it) in freespace2/data and add the following text to it:

Code: [Select]
-mod mediavps_3612 -missile_lighting -3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -window -fov 0.5 -ambient_factor 40 -spec_exp 11 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -ogl_spec 60 -res 1600x900

You will need to manually change at least the -mod and -res options.

Having said that, can you run a debug version of wxLauncher and post the log? Info on how to do this can be found in this post, under Troubleshooting.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I assume you want the wxlauncher.log that the Debug makes?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:47:32 am by Mammothtank »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yep, that the log I was looking for.

You're using an older version of wxlauncher, 0.9.1.  Could you download 0.9.4 and try using that instead? Links are here:

https://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/downloads/list?can=3 (normal)
https://app.box.com/s/nplh1yw5a23mrhy1jmwt (debug)

If you get the same error with that version, can you post a fresh wxlauncher debug log? Make sure you trigger the crash when running the debug build.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well i got the new WxLauncher. It always has this one error after i open it but it eventually the launcher appears. Also it gave me an error after I tried to make a pilot and the Freespace 2 root directory folder. The later two only have happened once.

Anyways heres the Wxlauncher.log