Author Topic: Backup Pilot Data e.g. Controls  (Read 3600 times)

Offline yves87

Backup Pilot Data e.g. Controls
Dear Community,

I managed to revive an old folder of FS2 with your great open source project, by eventually building the wxlauncher 9.4.0, very lengthy but working.

Just one question:

How do I reclaim old configs; as in the old key bindings?
I found old hud files. But where does it store the key setups?

They have to be somewhere. I would love to use my old setup.

Thanks to all of you. Maybe I return for voice acting some time, to give something back. (I can make the feeble, pathetic death sounds; that what my voice should suffice for)

regards

yves

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Backup Pilot Data e.g. Controls
Isn't that in /data/players?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
More specifically, it's in the pilot files themselves. If you have pre-3.7.0 pilots in data/players/single/inferno then it should be (fingers crossed) converted to the new pilotfile format the first time you run 3.7.0 or higher (and I'd recommend 3.7.2RC4 since 3.7.0 had some conversion bugs).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What if he has retail pilots? Based on his post I'm guessing that's retail.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Retail.... I think you're out of luck. I don't believe there was ever any way to convert from retail pilots to inferno pilots and I'm fairly sure the 3.7.0 pilot conversions only support inferno pilots.  Having said that, if you take a backup first you may as well give it a go.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AV8R

It would be a nice feature if FSO could export all of the settings and key bindings from a pilot file into some sort of comma-delimited txt file and then import that data into a new pilot file so you wouldn't have to keep redoing all of those settings if you create another pilot.

Is there a "Suggestion Box" somewhere on the forum I can drop this idea into?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
It would be a nice feature if FSO could export all of the settings and key bindings from a pilot file into some sort of comma-delimited txt file and then import that data into a new pilot file so you wouldn't have to keep redoing all of those settings if you create another pilot.

Is there a "Suggestion Box" somewhere on the forum I can drop this idea into?

This actually sounds fairly simple to make possible, but it woudn't be easy to make usable since we can't really change the FSO interface without distributing a new interface....  Having an intuitive way of doing this that it's not an outside (bare-bones) utility or a commandline flag or table option would probably be problematic, and those solutions aren't ideal anyway. 

The launcher doing it might admittedly work, although it's supposed to deal mainly with commandline flags, and you'd have to do some major additions to one of them, which I'm pretty sure no one would want to do.

Also, with SDL in Antipodes, the key-binding code is probably going to change which could complicate any attempt to do this.

EDIT: Best option would probably be a bare bones utility....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:22:34 am by Cyborg17 »

Offline AV8R

Actually, after giving it a little more thought, could the same thing be accomplished (with the new 3.7+ pilot file format) by making a copy of the original pilot file(s) and then just renaming it to whatever you want? Or would this screw something up when trying to use the new pilot file in FSO?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Actually, after giving it a little more thought, could the same thing be accomplished (with the new 3.7+ pilot file format) by making a copy of the original pilot file(s) and then just renaming it to whatever you want? Or would this screw something up when trying to use the new pilot file in FSO?

I don't think it would, you would just retain all your kill counts, ranks, campaign progress, and medals, so it wouldn't be a perfect way to copy a key-binding.

Edit: I mean, abstractly, there shouldn't be anything that would break if you did this, since there's no reason to believe that FSO keeps track of which file saves you have in the folder. I feel like most or all games run fine if you manually add or edit the save files -- maintaining the proper file format/parsing/conventions, of course.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:41:42 am by Cyborg17 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If you want to make a new pilot but keep your settings and key bindings, isn't that what the "clone pilot" function in-game is for?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Dear Community,

I managed to revive an old folder of FS2 with your great open source project, by eventually building the wxlauncher 9.4.0, very lengthy but working.

Just one question:

How do I reclaim old configs; as in the old key bindings?
I found old hud files. But where does it store the key setups?

They have to be somewhere. I would love to use my old setup.

Thanks to all of you. Maybe I return for voice acting some time, to give something back. (I can make the feeble, pathetic death sounds; that what my voice should suffice for)

regards

yves

It looks to me like you're looking for the *.plr file located in C:\Games\FreeSpace 2\data\players". I don't know what the *.csg files are for though. When I delete any of my *.csg files, they are automatically recreated upon launching the game. So, I think all you need is your playername.plr file and you'll be all set.

Regarding the hud_*.hcf files, yeah, you will want those so that you can either customize your HUD colors, or click "Reset".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:58:30 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't know what the *.csg files are for though.
CSG stands for Campaign Save Game; it stores your progress through the campaign file it's for.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
some sort of comma-delimited txt file

That's called a .csv file. (Comma Separated Values)

Offline AV8R

some sort of comma-delimited txt file

That's called a .csv file. (Comma Separated Values)

lol  And here I use Excel just about every day and I could not remember that term for the life of me while I was typing the post.

But you got the point, thanks.  :cool:

If you want to make a new pilot but keep your settings and key bindings, isn't that what the "clone pilot" function in-game is for?

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

So, AV8R, all you have to do is select the pilot (or not if you only have just one) and then click Clone. From what I am seeing here, it just clones the Options. That is, it doesn't clone any of the campaign progress, pilot stats, medals or the current squad. It will copy the avatar though, but of course, that's a part of your Options even though it's in the Barracks.

You can somewhat do this manually in the data\players folder by making a copy of your playername.plr file and then giving it a name of your choosing, but it will also include your stats and medals. You might notice that a .csg file is automatically generated on game launch for the copy, but it's fresh (no progress). So, if you were to decide that you want to copy the campaign progress as well, then you'd make a copy of the appropriate .csg file and then give it a proper matching name to reflect the name of the copy that you just made of the .plr file. So, for example: AV8R.plr and AV8R.FreeSpace2.csg. They have to match like that.

Edit: I just noticed something interesting. With a manually-copied .plr file and absolutely no campaign progress (using the automatically-generated .csg file rather than copying the existing one), my new pilot was Lieutenant Commander. When I exited the game and made a copy of the existing .csg file (deleting the automatically-generated one for the copy first) and went back in, my copy's rank was back down to just Lieutenant, which is where I'm at. So, it seems to me that it was ranking my copy pilot based on its (and my) stats at the beginning of the campaign rather than like halfway through it. So, it seems to me that I found kind of a way to artificially increase one's rank. Maybe.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:49:21 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?