Author Topic: AMD Radeon Settings; Custom Graphics doesn't apply to game  (Read 1678 times)

AMD Radeon Settings; Custom Graphics doesn't apply to game
Hello fellow pilots. I'm back again enjoying some awesome campaigns, like the completed Blue Planet that I've been waiting for since the day I played it the first time many years ago, it's fun to see the voice acting finally implemented and all the little stuff you've added truly makes it a complete experience. I just wanna give you a big thanks for the opportunity to enjoy your work, to all of you modders.

Now to my little issues & problems regarding the title
I got a pretty high-end computer(4770k OC at 4.8Ghz, R9 295x2 8GB), capable of running 4K resolutions and other sweet stuff. I'm trying to add some custom graphics through the AMD Radeon Settings panel, such as overriding the AA to add Supersampling so I can render at 4K, or maximizing the tessellation and other sweet stuff, but sadly nothing of it will apply to the game.. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there something I need to change to make it apply?
I choose to apply it to the fs2_open_3_7_3_SSE_20151121_71cf169.exe which is the processes that is open when I'm playing the game, but nothing is getting applied. I have the latest Crimson driver, 16.1.
I also tried the Virtual Super Resolution, I tried to render at 1440p on my 1080p monitor. Normally this works fine but in FS Open it acts like I have a 1440p monitor and it does not downscale to fit my monitor, so 1/3 of the game is outside my monitor.

Is there any fix to all of this? Have I missed something? I'm kind of addicted to eye candy :3

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: AMD Radeon Settings; Custom Graphics doesn't apply to game
Applying anti-aliasing from drivers do not work in FSO because of the rendering implementation used in FSO. This is a commin issue in games and if a game does not let you pick between different types of AA (besides FXAA and off), the chances are you won't see any difference even if you turn AA on from drivers. In any case, you're stuck with FXAA in FSO.

Can't help you with the resolution issue though.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also tried the Virtual Super Resolution, I tried to render at 1440p on my 1080p monitor. Normally this works fine but in FS Open it acts like I have a 1440p monitor and it does not downscale to fit my monitor, so 1/3 of the game is outside my monitor.

Is there any fix to all of this? Have I missed something? I'm kind of addicted to eye candy :3
That sounds like it's related to the DPI scaling issue, but the only fix we have for that right now is "disable DPI scaling", so...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

That sounds like it's related to the DPI scaling issue, but the only fix we have for that right now is "disable DPI scaling", so...

Disabling DPI scaling did fix the issue with the VSR. I can now play with a higher rendered resolution, so I basically got Supersamling going with 1440p being downscaled to 1080p.
The HUD interface does become smaller as well, so 1440p is as high I can go, on 1800p it's just to small to see text, and it did drop my FPS. 1440p drops it as well.
I'm a bit sad I can't get CrossfireX to work with game, I can't force it either. But perhaps this is a problem with driver and not the game.
And I just use Razer Synapse to up my DPI a little to fit 1440p, but I'll probably play on 1080p due to the huge FPS hit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:29:24 am by Meatball »