Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422749 times)

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Hope that helps. BTW, you'll likely have better luck getting help on the HLP Discord than on the forums.

Sir, you are a pilot saver!  I was able to get a lot of help from the HLP Discord.  Turns out that I was using the wrong git repo.  I should've been using old-knossos instead.  After a few hiccups I got it to compile quite quickly.

A tip I will leave for people who have HiDPi screens under Ubuntu (and perhaps other Linux distributions), use the following command:

Code: [Select]
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1 python3 -m knossos
(use "python" instead of "python3" if you are using python 2)

Thank you and now I am off to the Vega system.   :cool:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Great! Glad you got things working. :)

Hello.

I'm fairly new to linux (I'm on pop os) and I am trying to set up Knossos with little success. I tried following the official instructions but they are apparently outdated? Could someone please give me a clear instructions on how to install it?

Thanks.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Hi there!

Your best bet is to ask for help on the #knossos channel on the HLP Discord.

Note that we can't guarantee that a specialized Linux distro, such as Pop!_OS, will be able to run Knossos/the game well or even at all, even if it's based on a general-purpose distro (Ubuntu in this case).

As for updating the Knossos build instructions, RL is unfortunately too hectic right now for me to set up an Ubuntu VM (on Windows) and produce reliable setup instructions. Perhaps I can do that sometime later this year, or maybe someone else can do it sooner.

Hope that helps.

Hi! Sorry, once I've download the Italian Text Pack in FsPort, how can I activate it?Thx!!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Hi there! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this one.

Try asking on the #fsport channel on the HLP Discord.

If you don't get a response there (I'm not sure how active that channel is), try the #scp or #knossos channels.

Where did you get the Italian text pack from? How did you install it?

Hi,

just for development: Building the latest Knossos 1.0 on Ubuntu 20.04 ./task_sh client-run results in

Code: [Select]
Task client-run failed due to its dependency client-build: Task client-build failed due to its dependency libknossos-build: Task libknossos-build failed due to its dependency libinnoextract-build: Task libinnoextract-build failed due to its dependency libinnoextract-cmake-build: exit status 1

Online wesp5

I wanted to ask some questions about the latest Knossos release. I used it recently to upload a new version of "The Babylon Project" standalone game and at first it failed by hanging itself exactly on the package which contained the modified files. I managed to make if work by manually editing the mod.json file to remove the entries of some files there that had been removed from the package and to delete the checksums of the modified files. Because Knossos did not give me any warnings, here is what I want to know:

- Did Knossos hang because it was looking for the files mentioned in mod.json that were not there or did Knossos hang because it compared the checksums in mod.json with those of the changed files?
  (While uploading the checksum test was reported as being successfull.)
- Is there an easy way in Knossos to calculate the checksums for changed files and maybe even a way to just upload files in a package that have been modified instead of always uploading everything?
  (You know how GIT clients or other similar tools upload to repositories.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:17:22 am by wesp5 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What would cause Knossos to suddenly decide it's only JUST been installed?  It's been working for me for some time without any major hickups, but suddenly when I open it up it won't show any of the installed mods and is asking me where I should install the Knossos libraries.  I'm not above reinstalling everything, but I've done a lot of customizations to most of the installs, such as adding higher-poly ships, turret angles and rotation sounds, and I'd rather not lose all of that work.  Will I just have to back-up everything I've done and reinstall?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
What would cause Knossos to suddenly decide it's only JUST been installed?
If you're on Windows, rename the folder %appdata%\knossos. If Linux, I think the folder is ~/.knossos.

EDIT:
Hi,

just for development: Building the latest Knossos 1.0 on Ubuntu 20.04 ./task_sh client-run results in

*snip*
The new Knossos isn't yet complete. The current Knossos repo is here.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 12:27:43 am by jg18 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
If you're on Windows, rename the folder %appdata%\knossos. If Linux, I think the folder is ~/.knossos.
So, open Knossos, when it asks where to install everything, I select that folder, then it will say "Oh, everything is there, I don't need to do anything, go ahead and play"?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
So, open Knossos, when it asks where to install everything, I select that folder, then it will say "Oh, everything is there, I don't need to do anything, go ahead and play"?
Looks like I misunderstood your question.

I thought you were asking, "how do I reset Knossos?" when you're actually asking, "why can't Knossos remember where its library folder is?", right?

FWIW, ngld is really the best person to answer Knossos questions, but I'm not sure if he's around.

EDIT: what happens if you select the Knossos library folder when Knossos asks you for it? Does Knossos not remember the library folder path after you close and re-open it? If you select the existing library folder, I think Knossos should figure out that it doesn't need to do anything, but I honestly don't remember. If Knossos warns you about selecting a non-empty path, tell Knossos to use the path anyway. You can see the selected library folder path in Knossos's settings under the Knossos category.

EDIT 2: This would be way easier to sort out over Discord. Try the #knossos channel, or ping ngld (or me) on Discord if no one on the channel can answer your question.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 01:21:18 pm by jg18 »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I can't get on Discord.  I've tried three times and it keeps failing.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
I can't get on Discord.  I've tried three times and it keeps failing.
Can you give more details on "keeps failing"? What happens when you try? Do you see an error message?

You're using the "HLP on Discord" link that's under "HLP" on the forums' top navigation bar, right?

Are you on a computer, or on mobile?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm on a desktop PC.  I've tried the links that are "invites", I put in a username, it asks me to confirm that I'm not a bot, then it gives the "something out of the ordinary" page and asks for a verification.  Now, it seems that whether its successful or not, Discord saves the usernames I've attempted to use in the past, and most importantly, the cellphone number to use for it to send security code.  Made my first attempt back in October, but for some reason it didn't take.  My attempts more recently have failed ultimately because Discord recognizes that my number has been used before, so it won't let it be used to even attempt to certify another account.

The only method that I haven't explored is using something other than my browser to view Discord in (there is an option for a separate install), but I may still encounter the same stumbling blocks when trying to create an account.

Regardless, this is a moot point with respects to my Knossos problems, as I decided to back-up all of my work and go with the reinstall thing.  Fortunately, it auto-detected my current install and the only thing I lost was my command line settings and a few other preferences, easily fixed.

[/quote]
The new Knossos isn't yet complete. The current Knossos repo is here.
[/quote]
I know, "old-knossos" is in use here. Maybe that error message can help developing?!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm on a desktop PC.  I've tried the links that are "invites", I put in a username, it asks me to confirm that I'm not a bot, then it gives the "something out of the ordinary" page and asks for a verification.  Now, it seems that whether its successful or not, Discord saves the usernames I've attempted to use in the past, and most importantly, the cellphone number to use for it to send security code.  Made my first attempt back in October, but for some reason it didn't take.  My attempts more recently have failed ultimately because Discord recognizes that my number has been used before, so it won't let it be used to even attempt to certify another account.

The only method that I haven't explored is using something other than my browser to view Discord in (there is an option for a separate install), but I may still encounter the same stumbling blocks when trying to create an account.

Regardless, this is a moot point with respects to my Knossos problems, as I decided to back-up all of my work and go with the reinstall thing.  Fortunately, it auto-detected my current install and the only thing I lost was my command line settings and a few other preferences, easily fixed.

Looks like something for the Discord support team to take a look at..

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
I've recently updated mjnmixael's mainhalls and since then various mods - e.g. Vassago's Dirge - do not load but create an error msg that the mod is missing and my own mods now are completely broke and cannot load an exe. I really did nothing than update the mainhalls mod.

I know I'm not being very specific here. Let me know what additional information you need.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 10:00:49 am by SF-Junky »

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
FYI, the solution was to delete all dependencies and just set them up anew.

Hi there,

hope this is the right thread to ask my question.

I have an Xbox Wireless Controller / 20th Anniversary Special Edition, which I`d like to use to play FSO or FreeSpace MVP via Knossos.
Everything works fine, except for the following problem:
Button A of the controller is always mapped to fire primary weapon.
Button B of the controller is always mapped to fire secondary weapon.
Even if I do not select a joystick at all in Knossos settings and/or unbind all the joystick buttons in-game, these two buttons are always mapped to fire primary/secondary weapons.

I already read other threads regarding Xbox controller issues and stumbled across GlovePie to work around the problem, but it does not help.
All it does, is that with activated GlovePie script two commands are mapped to the buttons.
It seems I am unable to unbind/unmap A and B buttons from firing primary/secondary weapons.

Any hint is highly appreciated!