Author Topic: Mouse misalignment and small screen size in media vp  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Tetreg

Mouse misalignment and small screen size in media vp
When i tried to use the latest version of media vp the mouse was misaligned such that it had to be far away from what i was attempting to interact with and once i got past the pilot selection screen the game screen only occupied a tiny portion of my monitor. When i verified file integrity it found a faulty file and re downloaded it but this had no impact whatsoever and I've repeated this process several times and each time it is the same file which is broken. I thought these errors may be due to the fact that i tried fso installer first (i'm now using knossos) and messed around with the files in that in order to get it to work but even deleting all the files associated with that and reinstalling the whole game had no effect. I was wondering where i should go from here, any help would be much appreciated

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Mouse misalignment and small screen size in media vp
Sounds like there is a `-res` flag set. Can you post your command flag line? In Knossos click on the expansion arrow on the Media VPS and then click FSO Settings then copy the Custom Flags line.

Offline Tetreg

-ambient_factor 55 -spec_point 1.7 -spec_static 2.6 -spec_tube 1.15 -bloom_intensity 35

Offline wookieejedi

Hmm... which nightly are you using? Also do you know how to post a debug log?

Offline Tetreg

Would you mind telling me what a nightly is?  I've just stated using knossos and therefore don't know how to submit a debug log

Offline wookieejedi

Right, my bad. A "nightly" is the most recent release of FSO. Click on the "Settings" tab (the gear) in Knossos and the click the drop-down menu under "Knossos" to see what the "Preferred Engine Stability" is. Also to run a debug, just click the drop down menu from the Media VPs and hit "Run Fast Debug". Run the game for a minute and then close it. Then Click the drop down menu again and hit "Upload Debug Log" or "Open Debug Log". Then you can copy the file contents and we can take a look at it!  :)

Offline Tetreg

Ok, done, I've just installed the blue planet campaign and and i use that the mouse is correctly aligned but the window only takes up part of the screen even when i try messing around with the resolution, don't suppose there's a full screen option hiding somewhere (thanks for the help btw, you're a pretty speedy responder). I'm using the 3.8.2 version

Offline wookieejedi

Go to that view where the command flags were and you can look at all the different options for flags. There are a lot but iirc the game should default play in fullscreen. Click on List Type to see them all. Did you mange to generate a debug log we could take a look at, perchance? And happy to help! :)

Offline Tetreg

Yeah, i sent one along

Offline Tetreg

Well by setting my resolution to 2500x1350 (??) and opening the game through the blue planet rather than the media mod it does now (at a cursory examination) seem to be working correctly. Whatever works i guess

Offline wookieejedi

Interesting.. And thanks! Would it be possible for you to post a link to the Debug log you uploaded? Or just attach the file here :)

Offline Rob FSO

Hi guys, I had the same issue when I switched over to the Knossos installer/launcher.

You need to go to the settings screen in Knossos, go the global flags and choose you FSO build from the drop down, then choose 'Gameplay' in the List Type drop down and select 'Stretch interface to fill screen' to 'On' rather than 'Def'.

I think its something to do with the original game being designed for 4:3 and the newer mods such as BP having 16:9 in mind from the start.

Hope this helps.

Offline skinerd

I just ran into this issue and I fixed by setting the Windows Compatibility High DPI override to Application. Just right-click the .exe and go to its properties, the Compatibility tab and check the box as shown here: https://i.stack.imgur.com/RuiBo.png

In my case the path to the .exe was "S:\Games\Freespace Open\bin\FSO-21.4.0\windows\x64\fs2_open_21_4_0_x64_SSE2.exe"

Cheers