Author Topic: Basic Settings  (Read 2120 times)

Hi ... new member ... installed FS2 from GoG and FSopenInstaller , selected 2 mods to install i.e. Silent Threat Reborn and Awakenings, but, when I try to work through 'Basic Settings' in launcher
unable to link to a game executable ....see attached logfile and folder structure in my game folder .... Alan

Running on Win7 64

file structure jpg here:https://www.mediafire.com/view/mc7sam9vmj8gqh6/FS2foldercontent.PNG/file

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:58:20 am by akstirling »

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Yeah, the reason is, you do not have any FSOpen Build in your FS2 folder that is needed for FreeSpace Open.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

so why when I open the FSOpeninstaller do I see the 2 mods I mention above, ticked but grayed out in the list of included mods
, suggesting to me they already installed???(have an 'Awakenings' folder in my install but appears an executabkle missing, and no sign at all of a folder containing 'Silent Threat Reborn' .... don't get it ..... Alan

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Don't bother with FSOpeninstaller and wxLauncher, just use Knossos instead. A fine new combined installer/launcher that will do most of the work for you.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

OK installed Knossos ..... so where does a beginner begin??? ideally I would like to be able to practice controlling a spaceship in free flight and shoot at the odd passing asteroid or space debris ..... have a Sidewinder FF2 /also, from my Flightsim days  a Saitek ProFlight throttle quadrant(non HOTAS) ..... hoping ultimately i might be able to combine these using one of the apps out there as I understand  FS2 can only handle single HID .... so could anyone suggest a relatively straightforward mod that'd get me up and flying??

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
OK installed Knossos ..... so where does a beginner begin??? ideally I would like to be able to practice controlling a spaceship in free flight and shoot at the odd passing asteroid or space debris ..... have a Sidewinder FF2 /also, from my Flightsim days  a Saitek ProFlight throttle quadrant(non HOTAS) ..... hoping ultimately i might be able to combine these using one of the apps out there as I understand  FS2 can only handle single HID .... so could anyone suggest a relatively straightforward mod that'd get me up and flying??

If you are a beginner, just try playing the retail game, it's great! FYI it's the one that is called "Retail FS2" in Knossos Home tab. Also once you get used to the game then you can try using two joysticks with something like JoyToKey (https://joytokey.net/en/).

Offline Mito [PL]

If you feel like playing with much better graphics, you might want to try out the MediaVPs mod. It's basically the same as retail FS2, but with much better models, effects and backgrounds.
If you want to play the game in a chronological order, there's Freespace Port - it's the FS1 campaign ported to Freespace Open, and Freespace Port MediaVPs adds more bells and whistles to it, be sure to install and launch it too!
The next ones in chronological order are: Silent Threat Reborn (the original Silent Threat is too bad to even mention) and then FS2. After that, it's all up to you - try some mods out!
Both the Freespace 1 and Freespace 2 campaigns have got a simple yet informative couple missions long tutorial at the beginning, you might want to use these.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline CT27

If you feel like playing with much better graphics, you might want to try out the MediaVPs mod. It's basically the same as retail FS2, but with much better models, effects and backgrounds.
If you want to play the game in a chronological order, there's Freespace Port - it's the FS1 campaign ported to Freespace Open, and Freespace Port MediaVPs adds more bells and whistles to it, be sure to install and launch it too!
The next ones in chronological order are: Silent Threat Reborn (the original Silent Threat is too bad to even mention) and then FS2. After that, it's all up to you - try some mods out!
Both the Freespace 1 and Freespace 2 campaigns have got a simple yet informative couple missions long tutorial at the beginning, you might want to use these.

As far as official/canon campaigns go, where does one find "Templar"?

It's part of FSPort.

Offline Mito [PL]

Operation Templar was initially a multiplayer mini-campaign, and it looks like it needed a couple good players working together to be playable, but a version rebalanced for singleplayer is in FSPort. I'm not sure where to place this one when it comes to chronology, though.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Operation Templar was initially a multiplayer mini-campaign, and it looks like it needed a couple good players working together to be playable, but a version rebalanced for singleplayer is in FSPort. I'm not sure where to place this one when it comes to chronology, though.

03/17/2345- according to FSPort's command briefing which may-or-may-not be cannon.

FS1 is set in 2335, and FS2 starts at 2367, so it's between the two.

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Mito [PL]

That's really obvious - I meant where to place it in relation to Silent Threat :P
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Hi again ....when I try to run FS2 retail in Knossos encountering error as per capture at : https://www.mediafire.com/view/tjd3x3hg2lv72h3/filenotfound.PNG/file,

.... not convinced I've installed correctly - taken captures of contents of my Games folder :  https://www.mediafire.com/view/std788530ea1t8b/contentGamesfolder.PNG/file

FS2folder :  https://www.mediafire.com/view/82c2fcbdi3bo7hu/contentFS2_folder.PNG/file

FSOpenfolder :  https://www.mediafire.com/view/jn5r7065n4p675d/contentFSOpenfolder.PNG/file 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:13:22 pm by akstirling »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Whenever you post screenshots, could you make sure the link works properly?  Copy/pasting a bunch of addresses is a bit tedious.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:42:48 pm by PIe »
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Sorry about the dodgy links .... have fixed them ....

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
On your home tab, hover over FSO, click the little arrow icon and select "Verify file integrity". It should detect the missing files and redownload them. Make sure that your AV doesn't remove the file.