Author Topic: FS2 original campaign error with MediaVPS mod  (Read 1577 times)

FS2 original campaign error with MediaVPS mod
So have freespace 2 on steam downloaded, downloaded the knossos installer etc - loaded the upgraded graphics mod media vps - i click on the play button in the knossos launcher thats associated with mediavps - can do the first 3 tutorial training missions with the updated graphics but when goes to first actual mission for campaign it doesnt run and crashes back to the knossos main screen.

The freespace steam starter shortcut and the knossos FS2 campaign shortcut/play buttons only get me the original graphics from original game and they work to play beyond the first training missions - Am I missing something or some step to get the update graphics with these shortcut buttons?

Thanks in advance.

Marik

Re: FS2 original campaign error with MediaVPS mod
Mind describing what happens exactly? Error screen or complete CTD?

BTW using shortcuts is certainly not a way to work around the issue.

It just goes back to the desktop screen with  the Knossos launcher and program is no longer open. No error messages.

Thanks

Marik

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you hit Details on the MediaVPs tile in Knossos and go to the Options menu, there's an option called "Run Fast Debug."  Select that and run the game again; it'll be in a debug state that will record every action the game is taking in a log file.  Then, if it crashes in the same place, go back to that Options menu and select "Upload Debug Log."  It'll give you a link to the debug log, and if you post that link in here, someone should be able to figure out what's going on and help you out.

Strangely enough, running in the fast debug mode doesn't have the problem -works fine and can do the missions. If just use regular play button, it has the problem. Weird...

Thanks for replies

Marik

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Maybe try to run the latest nightly build? Knossos -> settings (gear symbol in the topright corner) -> Knossos -> Preferred engine stability (set to 'Nightlies' and check "Show engine builds in mod list" if you're using Knossos 0.14.0), then update FSO. Try to run it normally, not as fast debug. Maybe it'll help, the latest MediaVPs should be played on a recent nightly either way.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Ok will give that a shot - thanks for the info!

Marik

Offline drolord

Hi, first of all sorry for my english  :)

I have the same problem, the training go well and then, crash to desktop without error, running in debug mode the mission (SM1-01.fs2  "Surrender, Belisarius!") run without problem.

I take a look to the mission file, and found this:

There is 4 arrival cues in the wing section with this form
Code: [Select]
$Arrival Cue: ( and
   ( is-destroyed-delay
      ( rand 5 10 )
      "Leo"
   )
   ( not
      ( has-arrived-delay 0 "Psamtik" )
   )
)

If you change the ( rand 5 10 ) and put an integer, or change with ( rand-multiple 5 10 ) the mission loads without any problem.

I think that some build break the rand SEXP, because every mission that has a "random" in it i try to load crash in the same manner.

EDIT: This happen with and without MediaVPs, it's not a bug in MediaVP
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:05:06 pm by drolord »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We tracked this down to a bug in Visual Studio:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/2081

It should be fixed in the next nightly build.

I stand corrected.  Thank you, drolord, for your important insight: that helped me track down the exact cause of the bug.  It's actually a bug in the changes I made to rand.  I should have it fixed shortly.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:52:57 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's now fixed:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/2085

The August 21 nightly build will have the fix.