Author Topic: knossos cant uninstall fs0  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Davros

knossos cant uninstall fs0
Cant uninstall fso it says the retail fs2 depends on it
can anyone help

ps: dont think its worth starting another thread about it but
why is my freespace 2 folder 19gb ive only installed fs2 open mediavp's and the fsport ?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:02:04 pm by Davros »

Re: knossos cant uninstall fs0
Can't help you with the Knossos problem but finding the reason for the large directory should be found by, well, looking into it and checking the filesizes. :)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
You have to tell knossos where the original game is already installed.  That is in the settings tab (the gear).

Offline Davros

Yes done that when I installed knossos

ps: the filesize is in part due to the fact when installing new media vps
knossos doesnt uninstall the old ones

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Some mods use MediaVPs 3.7.2, other mods use 3.8.2.

Why do you want to uninstall FSO though?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Davros

I dont I'm trying to help someone who posted this

"Then watch how FSO refuses to start because folder mismatch and original cannot be started from Knossos anyway because of "unsupported joystick". Try to uninstall FSO, you cannot, because original now depends on it."

Offline Mito [PL]

Knossos installs FSO into a separate directory. It copies some files from the retail FS2 installment and then just leaves it alone. So the retail FS2 is in a perfectly unchanged state and should be playable through FS2.exe as usual.

The "Unsupported joystick" problem happens sometimes with FSO, but I guess that original FS2 might have a smaller list of supported peripherals? What kind of a joystick is this person trying to run with FS2 (if any) and what is selected in Joystick section of Knossos settings?

What do you mean by folder mismatch? This also tends to happen with Knossos once in a while, but it's mostly user error.

Also where did the person post this? We might solve it faster without people in between passing messages though.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

I'm sorry, I can't seem to notice the post you're mentioning - could you give me a direct link to the post? Just copy the address the "#<number>" thing on the right links to, for example https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2052262/.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Davros

Here:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2082927/

notice my post with the pictures of the knossos launcher (last page 20)
his post is a couple below that one

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Oh, for god's sake.
Knossos can't launch retail FS2. Anything you launch through Knossos will be run through the FSO engine. That's the reason you can't uninstall FSO. Without it Knossos would be pointless.
The retail folder is untouched though (as mentioned earlier) and works fine. Knossos does not break your retail installation.

I'd be very interested what the "folder mismatch" or "unsupported joystick" errors are because the folder issue generally happens if you try to launch FSO without Knossos and the only joystick error you're likely to see with Knossos is a friendly request to go to your settings and select any joystick (or no joystick) and then save. If there's an unsupported joystick, it'll just be ignored. It won't prevent you from launching FSO.

Regarding the other question from the guy on the other forum: There are several fairly big differences between the FSO Installer:
  • The FSO Installer can't install 32bit and 64bit FSO at the same time. You can only install either of the two. Knossos can install both but you'll probably never notice because Knossos automatically selects the best build for your PC and handles everything related to that.
  • Knossos offers far more mods.
  • Knossos allows you to publish your own mods.
  • Knossos can uninstall mods.

I can't help but feel that the other person didn't follow instructions or somehow broke their FS2/FSO installation. However, if the issue was indeed caused by Knossos, I'd gladly help resolve it. I'm pretty sure though that Knossos can't cause the issues described.