Author Topic: recieving err on FSO install  (Read 1399 times)

Offline mj3437

recieving err on FSO install
I am new to these forums and this is my first post. When installing FSO for win64 standard,  I get the err message
fs2_open_19_0_0_RC1-builds-Win64.zip: Failed
I am running Win 10 on a i7 6700K with a Nvidia 970 card.
The base game runs but I have no fso executable in my FS folder ( installed in C:Games)
What needs to be done to fix this.
Thanks for any help
MJ

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: recieving err on FSO install
What kind of installation method are you using? Knossos, FSO Installer, manual install?

Because Knossos installs FSO into a different directory than the original FS2 install. It's called "mod library" or something. You can check that in Knossos settings.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline mj3437

I just used the FSO installer on a previously installed FS2 (GOG).
MJ

Offline Mito [PL]

Where are you guys finding the FSO installer links? I thought every FSO install tutorial around, at least these made by HLP community, were already updated to point to Knossos first?

Okay, but you can still download the builds manually: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95868.0
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
@mj3437 I just tested the Win64 Standard builds on the FSO Installer, and they downloaded properly.  Sometimes a network error causes downloads to fail.  I would suggest just restarting the FSO Installer and trying again.

However, there are a couple of bugs in RC1 that are fixed in builds on and after October 13.  Instead of RC1, you should download this build:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95965.0

I will update the FSO Installer to point to the latest nightly.  (EDIT: Done.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:48:06 am by Goober5000 »

Offline mj3437

I got it from FSOinstaller.com
Will I have to remove all mods, etc that were installed on the first attempt before trying again? Or can I install over what I have already. Everything installed properly except the one err mentioned in my first post.
MJ
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:11:16 am by mj3437 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You can install over what you have already.  The Installer will already select the mods you selected before, and will not re-install the ones that were successful.

Offline mj3437

Awesome! I'll try it now.
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
MJ

Offline mj3437

One more question. Should I extract this directly into my Freespace2  folder? (C:/Games/Freespace2)?
MJ

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If you're using the FSO Installer, yes.

Offline mj3437

I have everything installed. Thanks for the help.
I have two .exe for the game. One ends in SSE2 Properties and the other SSE2-FASTDBG pro...
I assume the pro is for developers?
They both start the game.
MJ

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FASTDBG is for debugging.  You don't need to run that one unless you're trying to track down a problem with a mod.

Offline Mito [PL]

Yeah but if you just launch the exe file, you won't be able to select all the cool options and use mods. You need to run FSO via a launcher, like wxLauncher (preferred for manual installations of FSO) or Knossos (try it out!). If you want to replay FS2 with better graphics, install the MediaVPs mod, and if you want to start from the first part of the story, get FSPort and FSPort-mediavps. There's also a remake of FS1 expansion Silent Threat, called Silent Threat: Reborn.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.