Author Topic: Joystick detected by launcher but doesn't work in game  (Read 1090 times)

Joystick detected by launcher but doesn't work in game
Steam version of FS2, just downloaded and installed FSopen. Everything appears to be working fine except for my joystick. Logitech extreme 3d pro, set as preferred controller, can calibrate in windows, wxLaucher detects it, but it doesn't register in game. I can't bind any keys to it, none of the default key bindings work, nothing. I feel like it's probably something simple that I'm missing, but I'm clueless.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Re: Joystick detected by launcher but doesn't work in game
I also use a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro and it works fine for me. You mentioned wxLauncher, which is not very used anymore (mostly replaced by Knossos).
Are you certain you're on the most recent FSO release (19.0.0)?

Edit: Also

:welcome:
Potato!

It's definitely 19.0.0. I'll try Knossos.

Thanks, Kiloku. That appears to have solved the joystick issue. Next question: I have already downloaded several mods with the wxLauncher and Knossos doesn't appear to recognize that i have them. Is there an easy/simple way to move those files, or am i better off just uninstalling everything and starting over?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
wxLauncher and Knossos are two pretty different launchers. You can't use them in tandem. I'm unclear how you downloaded mods "with wxL" because wxL doesn't do that at all. It simply facilitates launching FreeSpace with mods installed.

My advice to you is to remove wxL and just use Knossos. Make sure Knossos is setup properly all the way through getting retail running. From there, you can download whatever mods you want from Knossos' Explore tab.

There is a way to "convert" mods from an older install (wxL style) to a newer one (Knossos style), but the downside is that you won't be notified of mod updates which is something else Knossos does for you.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I used the installer for wxLauncher to install the mods. When you run it, it asks if you want to do a basic install or custom. The custom install option included several mod options, for FSport, FS2upgrade, and others. I'm sure I could eventually figure out how to move them around, but it's probably easier to just start over like you said. Thanks

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
For whatever reason that wxLauncher uses an outdated SDL2.dll.  :confused: (Maybe RC2 instead of RC3 or even RC4?)

Extract the attachment in the wxlauncher\bin folder and it should work.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Thanks for the help guys. Switching over to Knossos fixed the issue. So great to be able to play this again. Really looking forward to trying out some of these mods too!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Thanks for the help guys. Switching over to Knossos fixed the issue. So great to be able to play this again. Really looking forward to trying out some of these mods too!

You're gonna love FS2 with the new graphics. I just got back to HLP a couple of months ago after a 17 year absence so I'm in the same boat you are. I got Knossos and it just makes getting new mods and keeping them updated soooo much easier. I just finished playing both FS1 and FS2 with the new mediavps and loved how they looked. I'm doing a story script edit (basically I'm doing grammar editing) for one of the major mods and I'm told my changes will be incorporated into the next update of that mod if all goes well. I can't wait to see how that turns out.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast