Author Topic: Models Not Showing Up  (Read 1147 times)

Models Not Showing Up
I'm new to FSO. I downloaded Knossos and installed MediaVPs, but when I play the game, the ship models don't show up. I see the lights on the ships but no actual ships (or weapons) themselves. I did download MV_Advanced but even when I turned it off, I still have the same problem. "Verify file integrity" doesn't find any problems. What am I missing?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Models Not Showing Up
Can you provide a debug log, please?

In Knossos, click on the "Details"-button on the mod you are currently using. On the detailed page, press the "Options"-button and select "Run Fast Debug". Using the Debug build please run any mission or until it you get an Error message, then quit. Under Options you should now find "upload debug log", use that and post the link provided.

It should have everything we need to check for the usual suspects.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

And of course now it seems to be working. Thanks for the help anyway!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Sorry for the late reply, but this happens to me on occasion too. My solution was just to go to Knossos and click on (or off as the case may be) "FSO Settings" > "Graphics" > "Enable Shadows". That always did the trick for me. If this happens again, just try that.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Ausoge

I am having the same issue - in the first training mission, the Myrmidon model doesn't load properly.  I can see the internal cockpit textures, and the engine glow, but the rest of the ship is invisible.

I ran a file integrity verification, it found an error and re-downloaded some stuff but this did not fix the issue.

So I ran the fast debug and upon clicking the Ready Room door on the main menu, I got the following information:

"Warning: Couldn't open texture 'myrmidonuv'
referenced by model 'Myrmidon.pof'

File: modelread.cpp
Line: 2484"

Edit: I tried again after turning off shadows as suggested in the previous reply, unfortunately this did not work.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 12:51:01 am by Ausoge »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please follow these instructions to get a debug log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ausoge

After my last post I ran another file integrity verification and this time the issue seems to be resolved.  Unfortunately I ran fast debug again to verify the issue is fixed - "Upload Debug Log" seems to only send the most recent log that was generated.  Is there a way to upload earlier debug logs so that I can send one that describes the issue?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Unfortunately, no; FSO overwrites the log file on startup. But as the issue is resolved, it doesn't really matter.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns