Author Topic: Using the same pilot for multiple mods  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Iido

Using the same pilot for multiple mods
Is there any risk in doing this, in general? I ask because I notice some campaigns say it's recommended to create a new pilot for them, but I'm not exactly sure why. In the past I would usually use the same pilot for a multitude of different campaigns, only making a new one when recommended to do so, but after a while I began doing it for pretty much every mod. Recently I've started fresh with a new pilot (and played through and finished retail FS2 again for the first time in a while!) and am wondering if it's generally safe to use the same pilot for everything, or if it's not, what exactly are the risks? Should I make a new pilot for every mod?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Using the same pilot for multiple mods
Generally speaking, this has been fine since 3.7. I've been using the same pilot for everything for the past 7 years or so and never had issues.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The starting a new pilot thing was the best way to prevent savegame corruption that resulted from using a pilot file over a multitude of mods. All that got fixed with 3.7, so the recommendation is basically from an older time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:10:36 am by -Joshua- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wouldn't worry about it, there's like 14 mods about going back to Sol, it's fine to—oh you said PILOT

I've run through like a dozen mods on a single pilot file in the last few weeks and everything's holding up fine.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Iido

Alright, thanks guys!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I wouldn't worry about it, there's like 14 mods about going back to Sol, it's fine to—oh you said PILOT

Oh you...........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Even back when it was considered risky to do so I used the same pilot a bunch and never hit any corruption. It should be smooth sailing now.

Offline AV8R

I've made a previous request about situations like this: allow the player to choose the pilot for the mod by use of a command line switch. This way you don't have to sift thru a list of pilots to select a specific pilot for a specific mod - it's simply done during game start in the command line.  :nod:

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Oh my god yes. I've wanted that for mod testing but never got around to asking the SCP for it. No good reason why not, I'll go put in the request issue before I forget.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've made a previous request about situations like this: allow the player to choose the pilot for the mod by use of a command line switch. This way you don't have to sift thru a list of pilots to select a specific pilot for a specific mod - it's simply done during game start in the command line.  :nod:
...But you don't need a separate pilot for each mod. That's... kinda the whole point of the thread.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.