Author Topic: FSPort: Crashing on "The Hammer and the Anvil" with "bad allocation"  (Read 1283 times)

Offline befall

FSPort: Crashing on "The Hammer and the Anvil" with "bad allocation"
Set up FSOpen today using this guide: https://www.gog.com/forum/freespace_series/2020_guide_to_freespace_1_freespace_2_portable_fso_installation
Essentially, using latest FSOpen and Yet Another Launcher.

Used the graphics and settings recommended there for FSPort, and it kicked off great. However, about 10 minutes into the mission "The Hammer and the Anvil", it crashes with a box that says essentially "Exception: bad allocation" with option to "Debug" and "Exit". The former button doesn't seem to do anything, so I haven't found where I can see any logs.

I've tried setting the features to Default FS2 in the YAL settings, and different combinations, but every time it crashes.

Any ideas on where to start or what to try? Thanks.

Not sure if it'll help, but I'm running an RTX 2080 with an Intel i7-9700K.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: FSPort: Crashing on "The Hammer and the Anvil" with "bad allocation"
YAL hasn't been updated in years. Can you try Knossos instead?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
YAL hasn't been updated in years. Can you try Knossos instead?

How you are think that this one has to do with YAL?

I mean, the game launches already and it seems to be pl.ayable, but crashes at a specific mission... which had nothing to do with a launcher.

So a fsopen.log would be much more helpful.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Knossos can be trusted to produce predictable FSO installs and setups, which makes providing support much easier than with old-style installs which basically required every user to Frankenstein a bunch of different components together by hand.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
What PH said.

befall -- if you're unwilling or unable to use Knossos that's fine, we can still provide support for this problem, it's just going to be a more involved process. I would recommend joining the discord where you can get support in real-time and everyone's generally a bit more starved for attention and quick to respond.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.