Author Topic: Multiplayer and modding  (Read 2072 times)

Multiplayer and modding
Quick backstory: I'm working on a concept for a space opera larp and I want to be able to have fighter pilots as a playable class. To that end, I'm looking for a space combat sim that I would be able to use to set up missions for players on local LAN multiplayer.

How is the multiplayer for Freespace 2? Ideally, I'd love if it has a multiplayer mode similar to X-Wing Alliance's skirmish mode where you can make slightly more complex engagements than just "Shoot down enemy fighters, that's it."

On a similar note, how moddable is the campaign? I understand that co-op missions are a thing, are there any community tools for designing campaign missions? This would be PERFECT for creating story content that goes above and beyond generic space battles.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Re: Multiplayer and modding
The campaign is moddable in absolutely every imaginable aspect, down to people making entirely new universes with their own unique campaigns. Same could apply to multiplayer.

The mission making tool that Volition used, was actually part of the Freespace 2 install. It's called FRED2, or Freespace Editor.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 01:07:47 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unfortunately the netcode is so bad right now that the experience will really only be good for the host, even on LAN.

If you coop the main FS2 campaign the host will get double digit kills while the clients are lucky to get 3-4 (and this is shooting at the same NPC ships).

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Unfortunately the netcode is so bad right now that the experience will really only be good for the host, even on LAN.

If you coop the main FS2 campaign the host will get double digit kills while the clients are lucky to get 3-4 (and this is shooting at the same NPC ships).

It is important to add however that it's under a lot of work right now and I think might be soon fixed up?
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Things are actually pretty improved.  We just have a support ship bug, and that is the only one causing crashes at the moment.  As long as no one calls in a support ship, it's stable. 

Now, some sexps do not work in multi, so you'd have to work around those, and scripting support is limited to the local machine.  Also some customizations have never been tested and may not be fully compatible with multi, like homing primary weapons.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
As long as no one calls in a support ship, it's stable. 

Not quite sure if it would work in multi - barely touched the stuff - but I think that can be easily sidestepped if you need to get started right away - Support ship calls can be disabled on a per mission basis, and it is quite easy to add other ways to resupply a ship, e.g. similar to how repair and resupply at cruiser works in Star Wars: Squadrons.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

It is important to add however that it's under a lot of work right now and I think might be soon fixed up?

Yes, once there is a stable fixed up multi build I will be very happy, I think coop has a lot of potential.