Author Topic: Access violations and assert:total_ammo  (Read 4104 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Access violations and assert:total_ammo
Yes, that's exactly what the plan is already. Find a build, test on it, fix whatever's broken on it. This is how it's always been done.

The problem is that there is no currently no stable build with all the necessary bugfixes. And if you can't set the mod to run on a stable build then it's going to be running on nightlies. Which could break things again at any moment.

Yes, to be clear, the issue is finding a recent build with no really nasty regressions to start from. Things like checkpoints breaking (21.0.0) and hovertanks not deploying (21.2.0, maybe).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Yes, that's exactly what the plan is already. Find a build, test on it, fix whatever's broken on it. This is how it's always been done.

The problem is that there is no currently no stable build with all the necessary bugfixes. And if you can't set the mod to run on a stable build then it's going to be running on nightlies. Which could break things again at any moment.

No, it is not what I am proposing. I am proposing a dogmatic stop instead of a search.

Of course that will mean that you have to work from a point were something will be irrevocably broken and has to rebuild from square one. But it preferrable to holding out for an empty promise of the "once and future build".

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

thanks man your input is really helpful to the actual BP and SCP devs who have been talking through this and making different conclusions
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, it is not what I am proposing. I am proposing a dogmatic stop instead of a search.

Of course that will mean that you have to work from a point were something will be irrevocably broken and has to rebuild from square one. But it preferrable to holding out for an empty promise of the "once and future build".

What?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's what a stable build is. It's the build you test on and target your release to so you can say 'this is the build the campaign works on, now and until we change something.' We've had stable builds quite regularly for years. They're not empty promises.