Author Topic: What are MDMP Files and How do I Use Them?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What are MDMP Files and How do I Use Them?
So I've been getting ready to play SAH, but I've found two models that cause a CTD with no message even under a debug build.  One is the inf_vidar.pof and the inf_latona.pof.  The log file ends with the attempted load of the file, then a "CRASH DETECTED!!!" line indicating that it wrote a "crash dump" file.  When I found the file and opened it in notepad, it comes up completely un-legible.  How do I use this file to figure out what the problem is?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Re: What are MDMP Files and How do I Use Them?
It’s a memory dump file containing a copy of FSO’s memory when it crashed. You need developer debug tools to do anything with it, and given the nature of the bug it should be easy for a developer to reproduce anyway. Post your fs2_open.log though, it might have some useful info.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Here's the log file.  I tried to include the mdmp file but HLP objected to the type, so if you need it I'll have to zip it or something.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Any thoughts?  I tried copying the same model file from an older install on my other drive but it gave the same result.  I've been looking for a suitable replacement for the Latona.  I might have to use an Apollo for it.

[Update]
Well, I just opened both of the offending files in PCS2 and re-saved them and they worked.  It must have been something buried too deep for FSO's existing warnings to catch.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:31:16 pm by Trivial Psychic »