Author Topic: Silent Threat Stalls in Mission: On The Run  (Read 1508 times)

Silent Threat Stalls in Mission: On The Run
In Free Space: Silent Threat, Mission#4: On The Run will not finish.  I destroy all Shivan and HOL ships.  The scientists are evacuated from the GTSC Ratna.  The PVFR Gemini tows the Ratna for awhile then stops and just sits there.  I have let it sit for at least two hours and nothing happens.  Doing things like flying around and shooting stuff doesn't help.  I jump out,  and the debriefing tells me that I've done a good job, but after pressing Accept, I get a message that I cannot Accept because I've failed the mission and must replay it.

I heard that Silent Threat had bugs but not that it was completely unplayable.

I initially purchased a used copy of Silent Threat and then purchased a brand new unopened copy in the box still in plastic wrap.  Both do the same thing.  I have a Win10-Home Ed. 64Bit HP Laptop with at least recommended system specs.  FS and ST were installed in Win95 compatibility mode as Administrators.  Also, the FreeSpace.exe is set to run in Win95 compatibility as Administrator.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this and how to get ST moving along?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Silent Threat Stalls in Mission: On The Run
I just checked with the files that are provided with the Freepsace Port.

The mission objective that is required for the campaign to progress is for the Ratna to have warped out, aka "Ratna Successfully Escaped".

Gemini is supposed to dock with Ratna, tow it for a while, undock, then dock again, tow again and then undock again. After the second undock the Ratna should get its engines back and warp out on its own. Gemini is supposed to warp out after it.

Considering Gemini did not warp out the Ratna probalbly was not listed a departeted, which caused the relevant mission objective to not complete.

If you are playing the original there maybe an issue with the docking orders, as I see it there are a number of events referrencing docking proccedures for multiple ships but "on paper" I cannot say if they are properly sequenced. Retail FS1 and FS2 did not support a ship being docked with the multiple objects at the same time.

ps. Would you like to hear the word of our lord and savior, Silent Threat: Reborn;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:21:07 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, because the original FSPort Silent Threat never got some treatment because of ST:R i fixed most of it flaws and bugs in my Nova Upgrade version of it.

On the Run was one of the missions where i have implemented some additional bugfixes to make it work. (The other one should be Secret Recovery).
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
On the Run was one of the missions where i have implemented some additional bugfixes to make it work. (The other one should be Secret Recovery).

It's no coincidence we dropped both of those missions in Reborn.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's been like that since the original release, actually, and I've experienced it myself quite a few times. Unfortunately, the only thing to do is restart and hope the transport realizes it's supposed to jump out. I can't help but wonder if it's the AI being conflicted over orders and it occasionally breaks.

Or, you know, just play Silent Threat: Reborn and experience an actual crafted and not-rushed story that doesn't feel like a huge chore to play through. ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:16:36 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

The final mission of ST didn't felt rushed at all. :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Good point! I felt like it took a rather leisurely pace to get to the climax. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Rubber-band the trigger and go have a drink. :P

^fs2.com
^k

I remember the first (and only) time I played this mission. I thought I had broken something because nothing ever happened for 20mins, and all you ever did was calling for support as the fighters were almost unable to do any harm to an Ursa. :lol:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Does anyone have any ideas about what is causing this and how to get ST moving along?

My best guess is that for some reason the game didn't register the waypoint path as complete.  That has happened occasionally, but the original FreeSpace seems more prone to it than FS2.  I suggest rebooting your computer and playing it again.

It's no coincidence we dropped both of those missions in Reborn.

Well, technically, On the Run became He Who Rides the Tiger.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

My best guess is that for some reason the game didn't register the waypoint path as complete.  That has happened occasionally, but the original FreeSpace seems more prone to it than FS2.  I suggest rebooting your computer and playing it again.

The waypoints have nothing to do with it. The mission entirely depends on a number of docking procceedures:

Code: [Select]
$Name: GTSC Ratna ;! Object #1
[...]
$Departure Location: Hyperspace
$Departure Cue: ( false )

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( when
   ( and
      ( is-destroyed-delay 5 "Rama" )
      ( has-undocked-delay
         "PVFr Gemini"
         "GTSC Ratna"
      )
   )
   ( repair-subsystem
      "GTSC Ratna"
      "engine"
   )
)
+Name: Warp fixed 3
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

$Formula: ( when
   ( is-event-true-delay
      "Warp fixed 3"
   )
   ( add-goal
      "GTSC Ratna"
      ( ai-warp-out 89 )
   )
)
+Name: warp fixed 4
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That doesn't mean there isn't a waypoints-done-delay sexp as a dependency somewhere.

Having said that, I looked at the mission and waypoints-done doesn't appear anywhere.  So something else must be going on.