Author Topic: Hotshot - FreeSpace like game for Android  (Read 3750 times)

Hotshot - FreeSpace like game for Android
I am a developer that likes the Freespace series and has created an android game that borrows elements from the Descent Freespace series

Here is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=headwayEnt.Blackhole_Darksun_Demo

Please tell me what you think of my project and who knows maybe I will look at the code from Freespace and port it to my engine in order to be able to create a Freespace port on Android. Maybe with scaled down textures and models etc. it would be viable.

The mobile game right now is also ported to PC so it will support both Windows and Linux along Android.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: Hotshot - FreeSpace like game for Android
I think you're going to run into some serious legal issues if you try to take code from the Freespace engine and port it to your own; that would be theft without the original author's permission.

Hi Hotshot, I downloaded the demo but it doesn't run, so I can't tell you what I think of it yet. Any advice?
Android version 2.3.4
HTC T-Mobile G2 (unlocked)

Hi Hotshot, I downloaded the demo but it doesn't run, so I can't tell you what I think of it yet. Any advice?
Android version 2.3.4
HTC T-Mobile G2 (unlocked)

It doesn't run on your phone because it's a bit of an old phone with 800 mhz CPU. My game is pretty much next-gen if you can call it like that, it requires at least a dual core of 1.2 of maybe even 1.5 GHZ and a much newer GPU. Sorry about that but I tried to make it pretty good looking for a mobile phone, so it takes a lot of power from the today's mobile phones.

I think you're going to run into some serious legal issues if you try to take code from the Freespace engine and port it to your own; that would be theft without the original author's permission.

I don't want to take code form fscp, I want to implement some similar functionality. My game is written in Java so I couldn't take anything even if I wanted to, my engine is completely different. What I was thinking was that maybe I could reimplement the scripting language etc so I could implement the Freespace missions on a mobile phone. Something like a simplified Freespace game for mobiles. Not taking assets or code.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I couldn't get it to run on my Xperia SP. All I get is a black screen and an "unpacking data" prompt.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

until now I hadn't given any real thought to the FSO software license beyond that of :v:'s license.

Code: [Select]
Volition Copyright (applies to original FreeSpace2 source code
developed and released by Volition):

"Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.

All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not
sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you
created based on the source."

Modifications by members of the FreeSpace Source Code Project are
released under whatever terms the individual authors choose, but the
above notice continues to apply to all fs2_open code.

Anyone that's contributed care to talk about how they license their modifications? I don't see any summary so I'm assuming either everyone's satisfied with what's there or I'd have to trawl through the code to find it. :p

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, you cannot lift any code off of the FSO codebase and use it in a commercial context, but that does not mean you can't implement a parser for the data formats. You just have to do it reasonably blind.

Well, I couldn't get it to run on my Xperia SP. All I get is a black screen and an "unpacking data" prompt.

I've added a loading screen. First time you start it it downloads the game data and starts unpacking it. That is why you see the unpacking data prompt. It usually takes a while so I've finally added a loading screen to make it more obvious that it is actually working in the background. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, you cannot lift any code off of the FSO codebase and use it in a commercial context, but that does not mean you can't implement a parser for the data formats. You just have to do it reasonably blind.
Considering that FRED mission scripting system is pretty much LISP with some FSO-specific tweaks, this should be easy enough. Actually, it's the most user-friendly scripting system I've ever seen, thanks to it's drop-down menus and mostly self-explanatory syntax. I wish more games did it like that.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Parsing LISP is one thing. Parsing sexps, with all their various effects, is a bit different. There's an entire API there that has to be emulated.