Author Topic: Mouse acceleration (or possibly slow-downs) in FSO.  (Read 2990 times)

Offline adjikas

Mouse acceleration (or possibly slow-downs) in FSO.
Alright, so hello and thank you for keeping the game up for so long. It's really good-looking and the performance kicks ass.
However, I ran into a major setback - mouse acceleration (or even slow-downs). I've just installed the vanilla game and I have it there, too. I checked out my older PC and the problem is there as well.
Now, I don't remember whether the problem persisted when I played back when it was first released - it was a long-long time ago.

Basically, it's impossible to aim.

FPS is not a problem. (I even have to lock it down.)
On the first "guy" I have a GeForce GTX 580; other "guy" has a GeForce Go 7900 Gs (it's a laptop, and a very old one while at that :p).

PS: I've tried searching but nothing of great use emerged; sorry if I hadn't tried harder, in case it lays around somewhere. Also, I've checked out the wiki on command line cvars, the cvar that disables DI has been depricated.

... right ... in before "change drivers."
I guess I'll do just that.
Didn't help. That's FSO then.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:00:31 am by adjikas »

Offline Yarn

Re: Mouse acceleration (or possibly slow-downs) in FSO.
What operating system are you running? Also, what do you mean by "slow-downs"?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
FS2 has a pseudo- PID type system when it comes to controls. Meaning, that whatever input you give to change the ship's orientation, it's going to lag behind a bit before settling on the target. Many games (namely FPS's) have no such lag time, you point at something and your avatar's weapon, arm, etc. instantly snap to it - totally ignoring something called physics, but that rant's for another day.

Is the mouse acceleration/deceleration consistent throughout the game? or is it sporadic?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline adjikas

FS2 has a pseudo- PID type system when it comes to controls. Meaning, that whatever input you give to change the ship's orientation, it's going to lag behind a bit before settling on the target. Many games (namely FPS's) have no such lag time, you point at something and your avatar's weapon, arm, etc. instantly snap to it - totally ignoring something called physics, but that rant's for another day.

Is the mouse acceleration/deceleration consistent throughout the game? or is it sporadic?

Well this quite sums up my concerns. I probably don't remember how the mouse controls were back then , given that I was only 14 at the time.
Is there any build that doesn't have the aforementioned system as in controls? Would this be much of a trouble, if say, I leeched off the source code from SVN and tried messing around with it? Or, would I have to completely re-write the input? Now, I wouldnt rewrite the speed of weapon/item changing. but the lag of mouse itself.

It just feels uncomfy after so many years of FPS games such as quake 3/live.

But thanks for an indepth answer.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Are you sure you aren't confusing this with ship maneuverability? Regardless of how fast or slow you move the mouse, the ship can only turn as fast as it's set maneuverability allows.

Try flying something slow like the Medusa, then fly something like the Ulysses and see if that's what you are talking about.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline adjikas

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with ship maneuverability? Regardless of how fast or slow you move the mouse, the ship can only turn as fast as it's set maneuverability allows.

Try flying something slow like the Medusa, then fly something like the Ulysses and see if that's what you are talking about.

The camera lags behind the mouse movement itself, the lag occurs *even* if just moving the mouse around (ie: no turning around [well, sort of... ;p] )
It's quite annoying, relaly. but sure, I'll check it out that later... PS: dammit, the only thing I remember is the first couple of missions...it's been a long time, I may even confuse thingts you just said

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm? The camera is linked to the ship. If you move the mouse at all, you are moving the ship... and as such you are limited by the ship's maneuverability.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think the issue here is delay between moving the mouse and the game responding to that movement as opposed to ship agility.  use a 8,4,6,2 key and the response is instant, use mouse and there is a moment's delay in the game reacting
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline adjikas

I think the issue here is delay between moving the mouse and the game responding to that movement as opposed to ship agility.  use a 8,4,6,2 key and the response is instant, use mouse and there is a moment's delay in the game reacting

This. And, micromovements arent restricted by maneouverability of ship or else ... Wth?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I really don't think there's a difference between movements and micromovements in FSO. (I could be wrong and welcome correction from someone who knows for absolutely sure.)

As far as a I know, the camera is linked to the ship, and the ship's turning rate (micro or macro) is linked to these values which are defined in the ships.tbl on a per-ship basis.

Offline Yarn

Two questions:

1) About how long does it take for the ship to react to your mouse movements?

2) Do your problems happen with the in-game mouse cursor as well?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline adjikas

Two questions:

about 2), you mean like menus and so on? yes it happens there too but not to such a noticeable degree. but stilli t does

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Two questions:

about 2), you mean like menus and so on? yes it happens there too but not to such a noticeable degree. but stilli t does

Ok, there's the thing we were looking for... we can't really fix the ship's turning rate unless you can find a mod that makes all of the ships really agile, I'm sure there's at least one hosted here that does something like this.

Next couple of questions:
Do you have the same mouse symptoms on the desktop with FSO not running? With FSO running?

What type of mouse do you have (PS/2, USB, etc.)

As Yarn previously asked, what operating system(s) are you running? (ex: Windows XP, OS X, etc.)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline adjikas

Alright, this might sound silly but the mouse lag in menus was generated because of Logitech's Set Point. This might be a coincidence but the moment I turned it off, the lag in menus was gone.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do you have the latest SetPoint software?  Try updating to the latest version and see if that fixes it.  If not, well, I guess shut it off, and maybe file a bug report with Logitech?