Author Topic: Most Emotional/Impactful Moment In A Game (Possible Spoilers!)  (Read 13903 times)

Offline aRaven

Re: Most Emotional/Impactful Moment In A Game (Possible Spoilers!)
the ending of Prince of Persia - Sands of Time....

bittersweet, after all the things the prince and Farah have gone through, Farah cannot "remember" anything. Makes me so sad...I guess I am the romantic type  ;)

My first encounter with an 'controller' in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl... was terrifying.

Offline kir2yar

Deus Ex - the best stealth action/3d shooter/RPG (depend on your gaming style)!
I remember the moment when Paul is killed.
Although it turned out that it can be saved.

FF7 - Aeris

The Longest Journey - Nice qest. I almost fell in love with the main character in the game.
DreamFall - same.

+1 to unreal1 (My first game against opponents with a normal AI)
UT2004 - when I run UnrealEditor and look on UnrealScript.

Blood (1, 2) Dual Thomson!
DukeNukem3D. Yeah, piece of cake!
Heretic
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Roanoke

Deus Ex - the best stealth action/3d shooter/RPG (depend on your gaming style)!
I remember the moment when Paul is killed.
Although it turned out that it can be saved.

There's probably an old thread/post knocking about here when I saw him alive and figured it to be a glitch...

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
In buried in time when Arthur says he's the virus

:sigh:
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline kir2yar

In order to save that Paul should stay with him at the hotel, where he was sitting on a chair and complained of an irresistible desire to die. It is possible that in the next mission will have to save him from jail. I do not remember exactly.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Freespace 1 - Pretty much everything after and including when the Galatea blew up.

Freespace 2 - The whole third act when what should have been a smooth ride turns into a desperate bttle to survive.

Freespace 2 BP AoA - the very last mission what you find out what's really going on.

Freespace 2 BP WiH - lots of missions in there, especially the last one. I've actually never seen a campaign from any game that sent you on as much of an emotional roller coaster as this. That's just good writing there.

Deus Ex - When you find out how much of an evil bastard Page really is. Not just that, the history of the Illuminati, their sins, and how they are trying to use you. Scum, all of them.

Starcraft 1 - Mengsk's betrayal. But also the last few missions of the Protoss campaign.

EDIT: Forgot one: Master of Orion 1 - there was one game in particular that I played a few years ago that really stood out amoungst all the others. I was playing the Klackons on hard, and right next to me was the Silicoids. I was smaller but more advanced, they were bigger but less advanced. Ultimately I got locked into a huge war with them that lasted most of the game, with me being on the defensive for almost all of it. The battles were epic. From the Siege of Ukko, the Assault on Nitzer to the Battle of Kholdon plus many more along the way,

It is possible that in the next mission will have to save him from jail. I do not remember exactly.

You won't have to, he'll be in the same place and you just have to talk to him. He'll get away unseen on his own.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:58:13 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Pyro-GX burning up in the intro of Descent 3. And that was when I didn't know anything about it either.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
My most enraging moment in Descent was having to use the **** GL because the GX was slagged. :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I took the Orange Box for another spin recently.  To be honest Half Life 2 and its follow on Episodes are pretty amazing.  The atmosphere of fear and oppression when you first arrive at City 17 is palpable.  You literally feel the weight of this giant military/enforcement complex on your shoulders.  And then there's Alyx Vance, possibly the only game character thats ever really made me think of as a living breathing person.  This isn't to say I haven't invested in other NPCs, Bioware games and the PoP series spring to mind; but the folks at Valve somehow managed to make her totally believable.  She reacts to things like you would expect a real person to behave, a smart, funny, capable one at that.  I think her character's humanity and emotions really allows the player to have a layer of context on the story that would be sorely missed otherwise.

And of course one can not forget the late and beloved companion cube. (I should mention the early previews of the Portal 2 CoOp looks to have a large potential for being invested in your robot avatars' adventures, which'll be interesting since it CoOp.  I dunno lure you're significant other into playing :D)
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Nuclear1

Homeworld --
Spoiler:
Awe from the Mothership launching, sadness from Kharak burning, hopelessness in the events leading up to the last mission, indescribable emotions over the ending cutscene (mostly vindication, a sense that "so many lives lost" weren't so in vain, and happiness verging on tears that the people who had watched billions of their loved ones be burned alive had reclaimed such a beautiful world).

So many different FS moments I can't begin to list.

The nuking in CoD4, especially the sequence immediately following it.

I'm going to second the Beast from Cataclysm.  The first few missions involving the Beast were just plain nerve wracking.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm going to second the Beast from Cataclysm.  The first few missions involving the Beast were just plain nerve wracking.

The mission protecting the Republican Taiidan convoy ships was nightmarish the first time I did it. I don't know why; every subsequent attempt has been perfect. But the first time...

I had to pull back my fighter screen to defend the Kuun-lan and there just wasn't anything I could do for the convoy. I kept sending the Acolytes back out to try and save the convoy but I was losing my fighters since they were so far from repair and rearm. I couldn't do both, and I lost a convoy ship before I pulled back the fighters for the last time.

And of course, they scream the most nightmarish scream of pain and anguish you can imagine when the Beast infects them...

I was defending the Kuun-lan, almost numb. I know there's nothing more I can do for the convoy, my fighters are too few and there's nothing in the mission to support building more. And the convoy ships keep screaming when they're infected, and there's nothing I can do. After the third I had to turn the sound off and just pretend the Republican Taidanii weren't there.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nuclear1

Ever just try moving the Kunn-Lann over by the convoy's path?  Rearm and repair gets a lot closer, and replacements come a lot quicker too.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
What, you didn't have a Taiidan Cruiser (or two) like I did? They REALLY help, especially with the energy gun upgrade for all ships. :<
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nuclear1

I dunno, Tai cruiser tended to make things worse...it's great, but it's a huge liability with those Beast Cruise Missiles around.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
the ending of Prince of Persia - Sands of Time....
bittersweet, after all the things the prince and Farah have gone through, Farah cannot "remember" anything. Makes me so sad...I guess I am the romantic type  ;)

oh yeah, that was incredibly awesome.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Mass Effect 1&2 have a lot of emotinal moments - dont need to repeat all of ;)

SpellForce 2 - Shadow Wars
Spoiler:
when Shadowsong sings in memory of her dead father and your dead clan after you arrived in the Orc Capital

SpellForce 2 - Dragon Storm
Spoiler:
the scene of you dying in the end, your party gathering as you do your final breath and even Yasha showing some affection towards you

StarCraft 2 - Wings Of Libery
Spoiler:
the Last Stand of the Protoss against the Hybrids

Warhammer 40k - Dawn Of War
Spoiler:
Isador's descent into Chaos and the final stand off with Gabriel in Mission 10 - (and I'm actually a Chaos fan)

Homeworld
Spoiler:
Seeing Kharak burning in Mission 3

Legacy Of Kain: Defiance
Spoiler:
the outro - Kain feeling "the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion called hope"

FreeSpace 2:

BP: WiH
Spoiler:
Ken, Aristeia, One Perfect Moment, Delenda Est, Sunglare

ST:R
Spoiler:
Abandon Hope

and now one you might not know ;)
The Shard Of Infinity
Spoiler:
As Stars Fall (SoI1-04), War Within A Breath (SoI1-05), The Illusion Of Choice (SoI3-01), Requiem For A Galaxy (SoI3-14)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:30:43 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
STALKER: Call of Pripypat: when I ventured into lab X8
the main emotion was that of fear.
what is this place?
WHAT THE **** SEES ME!??!
WHY AM I TAKING DAMAGE
auto-shotgun owns snorgs, hehehe
what is that sound?
a child weeping?
must be a trap, but...
...****ING BURER!
**** it, I have a document, I'm out of here

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I dunno, Tai cruiser tended to make things worse...it's great, but it's a huge liability with those Beast Cruise Missiles around.
Yeah it's best if you have some fighters guarding it, but it still needs a good bit of micro managing. Since it's so slow, I had a bunch of fighters in two more groups at the middle and other end, worked like a charm.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ever just try moving the Kunn-Lann over by the convoy's path?  Rearm and repair gets a lot closer, and replacements come a lot quicker too.

It was too slow to get there by the time I remembered it moved; I was following on directly from a playthrough of HW1 and that tends to cause a bit of a mental block about moving the Mothership. I think that was why the last convoy ship got through and I didn't fail the mission, though completely by accident.

I did actually have some multibeam frigates and they were a tremendous help defending the Kuun-lan. Didn't lose any either.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story