Author Topic: Crysis is a big fat piece of ****  (Read 12773 times)

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Re: Crysis is a big fat piece of ****
Securom is the reason there have been no good PC games.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
There are a few good games that are relatively new.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
There are no good games that are relatively new.

Fixed.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Oh, please. Depending on what you class as 'relatively new', there's plenty. If you haven't found anything of interest in the last year then you're not looking very hard.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Well, now that you mention it, there is DarkStar One... :nervous:

It's one of those games that I want to own despite not having the proper system requirements to play it.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
 :wtf: no good new games?

1 Medieval II Total War
2 Empire Total War
3 Silent Threat Reborn  :nervous:
4 Call of Duty 4 *shrugs* relatively new
5 Mount & Blade IS kinda new... only couple of months  :p
6 GTA IV kinda good though not great
7 Mass Effect kicks some serious ass (and stfu it's good)
8 Mirror's Edge is great too
9 Spore is nice if you're a kid... but is it a bad thing?
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I've only played the demo, but I feel safe adding Braid to the list of 'relatively new' and good games.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:wtf: no good new games?

1 Medieval II Total War

System requirements too high for me to care.

2 Empire Total War

Too much RAM and HD space required for me to care.

3 Silent Threat Reborn  :nervous:

Doesn't count.

4 Call of Duty 4 *shrugs* relatively new

Requirements for video card memory turns me off.

5 Mount & Blade IS kinda new... only couple of months  :p

While this game reminds me of Freelancer, it's nowhere close to what Freelancer delivers. Translation: I'll get bored after a while.

6 GTA IV kinda good though not great

Exorbitant system requirements means I couldn't give a hoot.

7 Mass Effect kicks some serious ass (and stfu it's good)

System requirements too high for me to care.

8 Mirror's Edge is great too

Too much RAM required for me to care.

9 Spore is nice if you're a kid... but is it a bad thing?

High PC system requirements and DRM presence means I don't really care.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So there are no good games...because you can't run them?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
 :wtf:  How old IS your computer?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Peggle?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I don't think it's fair to make judgements like 'there are no good new games' when it doesn't sound like you've played any.

Have you looked into consoles? Most of the good titles can be found there as well.

Offline eliex

Have you looked into consoles? Most of the good titles can be found there as well.

Not to mention that you can play any game for that console: no need for spec upgrades.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:wtf:  How old IS your computer?

How old ... four years, I think, probably more. It's an IBM PC that was acquired by Lenovo and subsequently given away as a free gift when my family's Internet connection was upgraded.

Peggle?

Maybe, but it does get a bit frustrating and boring after a while. Bejeweled Twist is a bit more accurate, but it doesn't offer Mac support.

I don't think it's fair to make judgements like 'there are no good new games' when it doesn't sound like you've played any.

I have seen some console gameplay at my local retailers and while I sit on the train. However, I'm still more or less entrenched in the computer era, where the PC and laptop serves as a workplace, playground and media hub all in one. In addition, there are quite a number of older and/or open-source, free games out there that can more or less satisfy the games I want to play without high system requirements (FS2, D3, Tyrian 2000, Raptor and The Battle for Wesnoth, for instance), so I see virtually no need to get a console or play a game that's ultra-realistic but have exorbitant system requirements.

I honestly do not see the point in getting a souped-up PC. What's the point if...

1) I don't have the space in my house to accommodate it; and
2) technology advances so quickly that, whenever you buy something new, it becomes outdated in 24 hours?

I find it pointless and an unnecessary drain on my money. I'd rather play a game that runs smoothly on what I have than own a game that's very pretty but runs so slowly on my computer to the point of it being unplayable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:00:27 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Nothing wrong with that at all. However, you were the one who claimed there were no good new games when you've not played any of them and evidently have little interest in doing so.

I completely respect your choice not to bother with the endless cycle of upgrading, but I also hasten to add that you're overstating how high modern system requirements are and how quickly PCs become outdated. My current machine has no components newer than two years, none of which were state-of-the-art even when they were freshly released, and I'm yet to encounter a game it can't handle comfortably on high settings. System requirements have slowed down enormously and are now more or less dictated by the current console generation. Only a handful of games - such as the one this thread is about - are likely to go very far above that until the next console generation rolls around in 2012 or so.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Well, Androgeos, saying "THERE ARE NO GOOD GAMES CAUSE I CAN'T RUN THEM ON MY BRAND NEW FOUR-YEAR OLD COMPUTER" is kinda... not right?

If you wanna play games (new games at least) you just have to upgrade your computer once a year or two (I upgrade over the year). It is not so expensive, and IMO graphics are worth it.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I completely respect your choice not to bother with the endless cycle of upgrading, but I also hasten to add that you're overstating how high modern system requirements are and how quickly PCs become outdated. My current machine has no components newer than two years, none of which were state-of-the-art even when they were freshly released, and I'm yet to encounter a game it can't handle comfortably on high settings. System requirements have slowed down enormously and are now more or less dictated by the current console generation. Only a handful of games - such as the one this thread is about - are likely to go very far above that until the next console generation rolls around in 2012 or so.
And in addition to all of that, it's never been cheaper (to the best of my knowledge) to put together a relatively beefy system.  I recently helped my family buy a new *gasp* Dell desktop, and I was flabbergasted at how much system one could buy for so little.  They wound up getting a Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, some sort of relatively good nVidia card, and a rather large flatscreen, all for significantly under $1000 or so.  Sure, all of that isn't exactly top-of-the-line, and the actual hardware may not be of the highest quality, but it's still a lot of system for the money, and unless you're a hardcore technophile (which it seems you aren't), you probably wouldn't care anyway.  Though it's currently being used for not much more than e-mail and Word, I know that their system could comfortably run most/all of the titles that Ziame mentioned.  I've been meaning to throw FS2_Open on there, just so I can finally see how pretty normal maps are. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
To be honest, the cramper on most games is graphics requirements, not the whole computer, even a slow CPU is actually up to the job in a great number of games, it's the graphics themselves that take the power.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
To be honest, the cramper on most games is graphics requirements, not the whole computer, even a slow CPU is actually up to the job in a great number of games, it's the graphics themselves that take the power.
Tell that to GTA4.