Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 69738 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
     So do people prefer homeworld 2 over homeworld 1? I finally finished 1, and am starting 2. But 2's been pissing me off in a few ways. It's like, I've barely got a fleet and I reach some arbitrary frakking build limit. And the ship's probably look better but the default zoom makes them all too small to see a damn thing anyway, which is fine because the ships die like nothing. Frigates go down in a few seconds. It's like wtf. But the build limit, damn, at the end of HW1 I had like 70 Ion Frigates stolen from that inhibitor mission, plus assorted other ships. Of course that's over the limit but I'm sure my frigate limit was a heck of a lot more than it was in HW2.

I agree, Homeworld 1 was way better.

And you're never attached to your ships in Homeworld 2. They're just slick, expendable military models that die in a few moments. In HW1, you scrounge and salvage for every single ship in your fleet, and they mean something to you -- especially since your fleet starts out so humble.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!

And you're never attached to your ships in Homeworld 2. They're just slick, expendable military models that die in a few moments. In HW1, you scrounge and salvage for every single ship in your fleet, and they mean something to you -- especially since your fleet starts out so humble.
*nod nod*

I grew very attached to my fleet of hijacked destroyers.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Nope, multi-beamed things from the gardens of KAdesh win every time :p

They're so one-off. :cool:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I liked those guys, and the Turanic Raider ion array frigates, and -- in particular! -- the Kadeshi swarmers.

I never did figure out if the Turanic ion array frigates were better than regular ion cannon frigates, though.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I liked those guys, and the Turanic Raider ion array frigates, and -- in particular! -- the Kadeshi swarmers.
I remember them. I remember swatting them out of the sky with two wings of multi gun corvetes.

I actually salvaged 4 of those guys, and a pair of advanced swarmers. Plus 4 fuel pods. :D

But I never sent them into battle.

I never did figure out if the Turanic ion array frigates were better than regular ion cannon frigates, though.
AFAIK, no. They're worse, with less armour. They do, however, look cooler.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline starlord

As I said, one I revisited lately: Halcyon sun (this one is quite rare).

comissant yaruzelska is a blast :lol:

Offline watsisname

Good luck with those Drillers. :p

At least the drillers go down with a single homer.  Unless they're cloaked, which is a ****.  :shaking:
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Roanoke

I remember them. I remember swatting them out of the sky with two wings of multi gun corvetes.

I actually salvaged 4 of those guys, and a pair of advanced swarmers. Plus 4 fuel pods. :D

But I never sent them into battle.

AFAIK, no. They're worse, with less armour. They do, however, look cooler.

I would kami-salvage a few Tyranic and Kadesh units and keep them as "trophies". The fuel pods are useless BTW.

Ia gree Ion Array frigates are less effective. They appear to have a smaller FOV.

Homeworld 1 has better story and missions, but homeworld 2 has better graphics and ships.

Cataclysm just scares me.......

Cataclysm's price scares me. It's always fricken expensive on eBay.
        And what the hell is with amazon.ca? Often times I find books or games that are USED and yet at retail or more. For example, in keeping with this thread I wanted to buy AVP2, the only copy on amazon.ca is like 90 ****ing dollars canadian. What is that? Speaking of which, if anyone knows a good place to BUY older games let me know. Besides ebay that is. I wanted AVP2 Gold so I could get the expansion too but ebay doesn't have any of 'em.

I  just bought and played through FarCry, that's an older game by today's standards. It was freaking awesome. I like being a sneaky bastard. Which reminds me, I have to buy the Thief games.

Yeah that's the bigger difference I noticed. I mean, I'd keep tabs on my numbers of ships at the end of every mission. Every "Frigate lost" was a big pain for me. It was like NOOOOOOOO not my frigate. But Like I said, HW2 has prettier graphics, but if you can never admire the ships what's the difference? Just have to get into the mindset I guess.

Incidentally I managed to capture 5 multibeam frigates, and 1 fuel pod. The fuel pod wasn't useless, I used it to draw off the alien derelict ships in the next mission for my massed bomber strike. Later, I discovered the retire button, and free RU was had by all. My multi beam frigates held up pretty well, though at the end of the final mission I only had 2 left.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:32:23 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Really? I managed to steal all of the Multibeams, ten in total, I think. I managed to keep them alive till the last mission, then used them to lay the smack down on the enemy Mothership.

I also did my best to keep my ships in HW1 alive, and in HW2 as well, although it seemed to be more out of habit, while in HW1, it was the sheer pain of losing any one of my little rag tag fleet.

Really? I managed to steal all of the Multibeams, ten in total, I think. I managed to keep them alive till the last mission, then used them to lay the smack down on the enemy Mothership.

I also did my best to keep my ships in HW1 alive, and in HW2 as well, although it seemed to be more out of habit, while in HW1, it was the sheer pain of losing any one of my little rag tag fleet.

Well the five I had stayed with me until the final mission, then I lost a few in the two pronged attack (the one that happens before the rebels arrive to help out). Incidentally I wish I had realized sooner that the rebel punk was jetting off towards the enemy. I might've been able to join him in time before he got blasted to pieces.

Offline starlord

Akalabeth: there's always CDaccess.com That's a very good address to find old games at a good price and they ship internationally (I made several good acquisitions once there).

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Original Descent.  On insane.  :pimp:

Ah, that takes me back. Getting out of the mining complex before the reactor detonated has always proved impossible for me after level three.

I like Descent 2 better, though. It's the best of the series, IMO. I found Descent 3 somewhat...nauseating. I don't know why.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Akalabeth: there's always CDaccess.com That's a very good address to find old games at a good price and they ship internationally (I made several good acquisitions once there).

Thanks starlord I'll check it out

Speaking of old games, just picked up Thief Collection off ebay. Should be a gooder.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:13:27 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Played Bejeweled 2 yesterday and made it to Level 59 of Endless Mode. 221 levels remain.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Prince of Persia, The Two Thrones is what I just laid my hands on. I love being able to jump around, but I think I should start trying to remember my combos, because only being able to slash is bad.

Prince of Persia, The Two Thrones is what I just laid my hands on. I love being able to jump around, but I think I should start trying to remember my combos, because only being able to slash is bad.

I picked up Sands of Time a while back from EB and tried to play it a few days ago but it doesn't like my videocard. So, that's three games on my shelf that are waiting for a proper video card before I can even play them. Oh well. One of these days.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Are video cards expensive where you live? And I heard SoT is getting a remake.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not a remake...Ubisoft is making a brand-new Prince of Persia game that's unrelated to the Sands of Time trilogy storyline-wise.  It's supposed to have a really beautiful artistic style, from what I've heard.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Hmmm. S'long as it preserves the gameplay. I love Speed Kills. Really, absolutely love Speed Kills. And sneaking around. And wall running. And wall climbing.

... Oh hells. I ****ing love the game.