Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 69260 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Did you nail all the ships in the last group (the stuff after the beam ships)? I remember it being particularly difficult to get every single one of those without using a megabomb, although it was possible.

Wave 4 is easier than 3. Apart from the last one, 6 and 7 are quite hard. 4, 5 and 8 are fairly easy.

Well, like I said, I tend to be able to shoot most of the ships down, so I bag lots of credits.

I'm quite surprised that you say Wave 3 is harder than Wave 4. From how I see it, the Waves in Outer Regions, from hard to easy, are: 9, 7, 6, 8, 4, 3, 5, 2, 1.

Let me recall other Raptor moments. Do you know that, on Rookie difficulty, you can actually survive the first three Waves of Bravo Sector by just holding down your fire button and not moving?

Oh, and it'll be good to note some of the birthdays of the game developers. If I remember correctly, setting your system clock to certain dates like, say, May 16, will trigger Raptor's birthday mode. In birthday mode, there are some new enemies, like mechanised monkeys that hit you with coconuts, robot cows that have a back-mounted laser (in Bravo Sector on Rookie difficulty!), manta rays that have a single rapid-fire laser, and what appears to be a Star Trek reference at Wave 4 of Outer Regions that, when shot enough times, will reveal a Raw Freylium Ore that can be picked up.

Here are the dates that will trigger birthday mode:

March 12: Bobby Prince
May 16: Scott Host (I use this)
August 28: Rich Fleider
October 2: Jim Molinets

Here's a cheat: Pressing the Backspace key will resotre your shields and give you a Deathray, although it will also reset your credits to zero. You can hold down Backspace while flying to be invincible and get a lot of Deathrays.

Sounds interesting. What format is this on?

MS-DOS (3D Realms) or Windows (Mountain King Studios). You'll need to know how to use DOSBox if you play the MS-DOS version, and if you use the Windows version by Mountain King Studios, I cannot guarantee that the cheats will work (although birthday mode still appears to be present).
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm quite surprised that you say Wave 3 is harder than Wave 4. From how I see it, the Waves in Outer Regions, from hard to easy, are: 9, 7, 6, 8, 4, 3, 5, 2, 1.

I guess the free phase shield you get in 3 makes up for it. But there is a reason why it's in that level and not in any of the later ones; 3 is somewhat tough given how early it comes. I try to grab every single enemy in most levels, which I find harder to do in 3 than 4. You should have a twin laser by then and most of the enemies in 4 either run in front of you or are big and slow.

I've seen those cheats. You can also activate the "birthday" mode by hitting some specific combination of the switches in the mission selection screen.

I'm playing Thief 1! Yay. Funny, for years, I had only played the demo, and from that demo I had assumed that the game was largely realistic with the thief invading castles full of regular guys in regular armour. Even when I got to the second mission, my briefing said the mines beneath the prison were haunted. I didn't pay much notice. "Haunted" I thought, "probably be spooky, maybe a harmless ghost, not much more."

Then a zombie jumped up and killed my ass.

"Oh, so . . . it is supernatural."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'm replaying Far Cry now. This game is a throwback to older FPSs in many ways, with a lame story but great gameplay and level design. It's very long (especially by modern standards) but still fairly nonlinear, and also quite difficult. It was probably the last genuinely hard FPS I played, although I remember the last few levels going overboard with the difficulty. All this adds up to something that actually feels like a game though and not just an interactive movie, which is all too common among games these days.

It also looks surprisingly good considering that it came out in early 2004, and comes close to Crysis in some places. If you use the content update and the HDR with appropriately tweaked parameters, the graphics are comparable to most other 2007/08 games, and modern hardware can easily handle high levels of normal and transparency AA in it.

I'm replaying Far Cry now. This game is a throwback to older FPSs in many ways, with a lame story but great gameplay and level design. It's very long (especially by modern standards) but still fairly nonlinear, and also quite difficult. It was probably the last genuinely hard FPS I played, although I remember the last few levels going overboard with the difficulty. All this adds up to something that actually feels like a game though and not just an interactive movie, which is all too common among games these days.

Yeah I played that a few weeks ago for the first time (yeah I'm behind). That game's awesome. I mean the story's nothing too original, but it's damn fun to play. And yeah, it was definately a long game . . .surprised it kept going and going. I dunno why FarCry 2 is called FarCry 2 when it seemingly has nothing to do with the original.

Offline Roanoke

Far Cry was good but towards the end becomes horribily cliche. Zombie super-soliders and a volcano-side, super-villan villa ffs.
I prefered FarCry Evolution. That was much better, with some nice set-pieces and the final phase of fighting guerilla militants in an ancient, mountain-top temple complex.

Shame about the final boss though  :rolleyes:

Far Cry was good but towards the end becomes horribily cliche. Zombie super-soliders and a volcano-side, super-villan villa ffs.
I prefered FarCry Evolution. That was much better, with some nice set-pieces and the final phase of fighting guerilla militants in an ancient, mountain-top temple complex.

Shame about the final boss though  :rolleyes:

Bigger shame that it's only on the Xbox I'd say. Where's the PC version????

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You mean Instincts + Predator :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starlord

Currently I'm playing inca and inca 2: wiracocha.

Those games are quite curious but very enjoyable.

Perhaps I'll continue then with sandwarriors.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have the first one. It's probably the strangest game I have ever played, but that is not a bad thing.

Offline starlord

i mostly find it funny! but original and very engaging.

you should by the second.

Also, a great game (but unfortunately very short) would be barrage from activision.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I'm kind of disappointed there hasn't been a sequel to AVP2 (the game) yet. Based on the ending it would seem they intended to make one.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
PC Version? Yeah i know, it was great how the storys intertwined....

PRedator opening levels are the best by far... Jumping was never so much fun :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I'm kind of disappointed there hasn't been a sequel to AVP2 (the game) yet. Based on the ending it would seem they intended to make one.
Yea. Too bad, I was hoping for a sequel.

PC Version? Yeah i know, it was great how the storys intertwined....

Predator opening levels are the best by far... Jumping was never so much fun :D
I got a bit irritated the first time I played it, but I now a days, I love it. Playing as Pred is so much fun. Lock-on plama bolts ftw.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Played Waves 4 and 5 of Outer Regions in Raptor last night.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I just played Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, a 1998 game! W00t, nostalgia.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Working my way through Shadow of the Colossus...over two years of playing this save file, and I've only killed seven of the things. :p At least it gives me time to appreciate how gorgeous the game is.

Working my way through Shadow of the Colossus...over two years of playing this save file, and I've only killed seven of the things. :p At least it gives me time to appreciate how gorgeous the game is.

Is that bad boy on PC? The poster always looked wicked cool.
    Suppose I could look it up for myself ;)

Finished Thief 1, now I'm onto Thief 2. Man, Thief 1 was great. I've never been so **** scared by a video game before. Doom 3 was startling, FEAR was creepy, but Thief was hair raising. I would freak out just even fighting those little baby spiders in hand to hand.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:10:51 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
    Is that bad boy on PC? The poster always looked wicked cool.
    Suppose I could look it up for myself ;)
Nope, it's a PS2 title.  Still absolutely gorgeous, though, considering the hardware.  The same development team made an earlier game called ICO that's almost as unique; I'm just starting to work through that one.