Author Topic: revisiting old games  (Read 70164 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Have you played Mechcommander 1? It's even better than 2.

So true. :yes:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I have actually. Played both. I do agree that its better, and also more difficult. Although the Mad Cat is really a dangerous opponent in MC1. But I can't find my MC1 so I'm stuck with MC2, which isn't so bad in its own right.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's funny how good sprite-based graphics still look compared to 3D.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I have actually. Played both. I do agree that its better, and also more difficult. Although the Mad Cat is really a dangerous opponent in MC1. But I can't find my MC1 so I'm stuck with MC2, which isn't so bad in its own right.

Try to get MCG ( Gold edition ), it has a additional campaign and new mechs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The campaign is even harder.

I joined a VGA Planets 4 game. Give 'er a go. Used to play VGAP3 years ago but usually loose interest half-way through. Planets4 was always confusing when I tried it but having taken a second look it seems not too bad. Will get my butt kicked no doubt

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The campaign is even harder.

Yep  :)

Did ya play the fan made campaign for MC 2?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Damn straight.

Try to get MCG ( Gold edition ), it has a additional campaign and new mechs.
I know, I'm searching around for it, but its not easy to find old games in Singapore.

Did ya play the fan made campaign for MC 2?
Nope. Where can I find it ?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

This is common with games from the mid 90s. The 2D titles look much better today than 3D ones from the same period. 3D was a novelty back then and was seen as the great new thing, but most of the early 3D games (roughly up to 1997) have aged very poorly compared to the newer 2D games, which still look pretty good.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Played BioMenace Episode 1: Dr. Mangle's Lab from Downtown Metro to No Man's Land.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

This is common with games from the mid 90s. The 2D titles look much better today than 3D ones from the same period. 3D was a novelty back then and was seen as the great new thing, but most of the early 3D games (roughly up to 1997) have aged very poorly compared to the newer 2D games, which still look pretty good.

In some ways I think that sprites look better than a lot of graphics even in modern RTSes, particularly in the crispness of units against the background.

It's kind of similar to the way that Halo 1 often seems to look better than Halo 3.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I just realised Fallout tactics is older than FS2.

It still looks pretty good even though it's spitey but FS2s' cutscenes are definitely better.

I played FOT yesterday with my little bro and took his whole team out by arming a C4 timer and sticking it on my squads dog and charging his position. The dog was :snipe: (rip dogmeat the third) but his whole squad went boom.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Nope. Where can I find it ?

Depends which one you mean. Personally I recommend Magic's Unoffical Expansion, available here: http://www.dropshipcommand.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=15&topic_id=3886&mesg_id=3886&page=

Be aware that to make the Exodus 2.0 missions manageable for a casual player might mean using the mission editor to bust them up a bit; these missions are not screwing around, and they will repeatedly kill you. I also recommend altering the campaign file so you start with a much larger amount of money.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
The Carver 5 Campaign was also tweaked to be more difficult? Or just the Exodus 2.0?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Carver V is only tweaked if you used the files for that, IIRC. It will, however, always lack the slightly sadistic mission design of Exodus 2.0. I personally ended up doing some minor rework of several of the Exodus 2.0 missions in the editor to make it a bit more manageable, but as long as you give yourself enough cash in the start to buy a Dragon and an Assassin the remainder is doable with enough luck and skill. A lot of people played the thing and nobody ever outright sad "It's too hard, burn it all" though some of us did go into the game files and use the break tool on whatever we found most offensive.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I'm interested in the new 'Mechs, but not really interested in the interested difficulty ... :p Oh well. No pain no gain.

Offline Bluecap

• There I am and - what? Now I'm gone!
Console: Final Fantasy 7, 8, and X-2; Xenosaga I
PC: Command and Conquer (GDI, original...currently going through the entire series from start to finish again), Tyrian

Off and on, of course.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again'. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that, we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now." - HHGTG, Douglas Adams

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The soundtrack of Bio Menace is excellent. I'm hearing it now. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

There's one good thing about revisiting old games, or one good thing about playing old games for the first time. That is, you discover there's already a bunch of mods done for it. Like for example I'm playing some new Thief 2 campaign with a bunch of new graphics and audio and all the whole nine yards. Oh course freespace is a perfect example of this

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Freelancer, FreeSpace, Descent...yeah.
My blog

MP-Ryan