Author Topic: D&D on GOG  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Fallout from the beta test aside, GOG has been getting licenses for all the classic Dungeons and Dragons RPGs. So far we have:

• Planescape: Torment
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast expansion
  • Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter and Tales of the Loremaster expansions
  • Neverwinter Nights + Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, and Kingmaker expansions

I've played NWN to death, and I tried TOEE years ago but was turned off by bugs (and some really hardcore gameplay elements). I also played Torment for a while but was overwhelmed by the number of sidequests in Act I seemingly without progress toward the main quest.

It's nice to have NWN without DRM. I think maybe I can get some LAN games going with that now!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Is Icewind Dale II up?  I much prefer the D&D 3.X system they used for it instead of the earlier version in the original.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You must play more Planescape Torment!

Best written game of all time, many would argue (except Mr. Vega.)

Offline mxlm

Don't want to part with that.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
According to their promo emails I've been getting about their D&D games, they still have two more to release.  My money is on Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II.  I've done some Googling and can't really find any other major D&D games.  Anyone else know of any others we could add to the list of possibilities?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

You must play more Planescape Torment!

Best written game of all time, many would argue (except Mr. Vega.)
I second that.

Great story, great characters, great dialogues, great spells, great music ...

According to their promo emails I've been getting about their D&D games, they still have two more to release.  My money is on Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II.  I've done some Googling and can't really find any other major D&D games.  Anyone else know of any others we could add to the list of possibilities?
KotOR I and II use modified D&D rules, and they're by BioWare and Obsidian. :P

Of course, them showing up on GoG would require LucasArts to consider more distribution options than Steam.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd hope for NWN 2 and Mask of the-oh who am I kidding, MotB was a pain in the ass.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
How can you fault MotB? You get to
Spoiler:
consume the essence of a dead god.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Because they build up the wall and really convince you yes, yes, you're going to do it, you're going to win, but somewhere in the back of your mind you know they will not allow you to screw with the cosmology like that. But by the end, in the assault, it really looks like they will.

...then they don't. Predictably.

The story elements work at crosspurposes. Among other things.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

In MotB I only got past the first boss before I stopped and I already wanted to tear down the Wall of the Faithless.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Because they build up the wall and really convince you yes, yes, you're going to do it, you're going to win, but somewhere in the back of your mind you know they will not allow you to screw with the cosmology like that. But by the end, in the assault, it really looks like they will.

...then they don't. Predictably.

The story elements work at crosspurposes. Among other things.

Uh, spoiler question in quotes

Spoiler:
Wikipedia says: "After claiming their soul from the Wall (or destroying the wall once for all, violating Kelemvor's order), the player character is pulled into a dreamscape where he/she must battle Akachi's avatar, The Faceless Man, for control of his/her soul. After defeating the Faceless Man, Kelemvor (if not devoured by the player) then narrates the ending, which varies based on the player's choices throughout the game."

Makes it sound like you can tear down the Wall.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can't. There is no path that will lead there. Kelemvor basically says "Nice try, but we cannot let you violate Canon".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I liked MotB's ending as it was.

Spoiler:
I don't know whether or not they would have torn down the Wall if they'd been allowed to, but I think it's simplistic to say that the ending conflicts with the rest of the narrative. Unexpected, maybe, but not inconsistent. The ultimate message of 'you can't change the world' is philosophically much more interesting to me than a feel-good act of justice. I don't agree with it, but I don't need a story to end how I would like it to.
But we've had this discussion before.

I'd hope for NWN 2 and Mask of the-oh who am I kidding, MotB was a pain in the ass.

They are on Gamersgate.

Offline Shade

all the classic Dungeons and Dragons RPGs
All the modern classics, perhaps. But you can't claim that it's all the classics, period, until they add the gold box games starting with Pool of Radience ;) Still, I'm not complaining. Definitely going to pick up any of these which I don't already own.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

all the classic Dungeons and Dragons RPGs
All the modern classics, perhaps. But you can't claim that it's all the classics, period, until they add the gold box games starting with Pool of Radience ;) Still, I'm not complaining. Definitely going to pick up any of these which I don't already own.

The pool of Radiance has been remastered for NWN 2 and NWN :D.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Meh..MOTB sucked.
The NWN2 cahracters were discarded and insignificant, the "romances" were rushed and stupid (that bald girl expressed her undying love for me... and I've known her for 2 weeks in-game time and barely spoken to her at all) and the whole story never sat well with me.
NWN2 was superior IMHO.

Also, Planescape..was not impressed. Not my cup of tea..too dreary and depressing.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
All the modern classics, perhaps. But you can't claim that it's all the classics, period, until they add the gold box games starting with Pool of Radience ;)

I can't remember how many hours I spent in Eye of the Beholder.

Lots, certainly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shade

I loved EoB right up to the point where I first encountered the spiders on Lvl 4. I was a serious arachnophobe at the time, and after the first encounter it took me a good part of the rest of the month to work up the courage to go back and face them again :nervous: The sound of them in particular really get under my skin. I'm a bit less jumpy at such things now, but even now, the spider levels still creep me out when I replay it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.