Author Topic: Temporary Internet Files  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Temporary Internet Files
Right, so I recently switched to Forefox from IE, and while I was using IE my temp internet files were stored in

Windows/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files

this is all the cookies and image cache etc . Every one in a while, when I get 100 or 200 megs in there, I would clean it out ( through IE>Options>Delete Files ). But now, with Firefox it stores all the temp files in

Windows/Temprary Internet Files

and I've still got like a 100 megs in the old folder, but disk cleanup and the Delete Files don't do anything. I don't want to go in there and just erase everything manually, cause I've got a ton of cookies and whatnot.

Erm, I'm fairly certain there is a really simple solution, but damned if I know. You may now point and laugh at my lack of basic computer knowledge.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Temporary Internet Files
Right, so I recently switched to Forefox from IE

Why?

oh yes, help...hmmm...cookies are usually saved in text files, so maybe you could try moving those?
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Temporary Internet Files
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

Why?

oh yes, help...hmmm...cookies are usually saved in text files, so maybe you could try moving those?

I did the same thing not 3 days ago. IE stopped working correctly. And Firefox just sounds cool.

And I'd also suggest manually moving the cookies.  I assume that if you copy all the cookies over, FF will use them, so you don't need to re-enter all your information, and the like. Right?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline JarC

Temporary Internet Files
ehhhh, the cookies is something to get rid of...they mostly only serve to track your comings and goings on the net...so kill'm and yes, IE is a bit braindead with its cache, even if you 'empty' it thru the proper route, there's often still tons of stuf left behind...like read email and all kinds of other interresting stuf (interesting for spyware that is...you OTOH will want to keep mail private...)

I suggest doing a 'search files and folders' without the search assistant and manually navigate to your internet temp folder (it don't have to be where you think it is...windows makes hotlinks everywhere) then just press search and just kill those weird-named folders (names of 8 random chosen letters) that will get ridd of all the accumulated dirt...

Cookies are textfiles alright but simply moving them won't do as you cannot copy them back the same way...need a cookie manager program for that...

hum, ho, firefox? then it might store its files there if you tell it to, but it is a mozilla based brower so does not at all use the cache in the same way as IE...incompatible these two on cache usage...and cookie usage, IIRC mozilla based browsers store cookies in one big file...also incompatible...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 04:42:04 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Temporary Internet Files
Ugh, I read that as "from Firefox to IE". I switched to FF awhile back and haven't regretted it. In fact, before it was Firefox. :nervous:

Anyway, what I did was just use Firefox (With the "Ask before accepting cookies" checked) and set things up as I had problems. Usually it doesn't take much time to get vital cookies reset, and it gives you the opportunity to make sure you know your passwords - so in the case of a system crash you won't be completely lost.

Also, if you haven't switched already, I'd suggest using Thunderbird instead of OE. The built in junk mail filter easily makes it worth it. It's not very hard either. :nod:
-C

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Temporary Internet Files
the best way to empty a computer running Windows is to format c:/ -s

Temporary Internet Files
There is a hidden folder in Temporary Internet Files called Content.IE5 Deleting temporary internet files does not empty this folder. You have to go in and clear it manually (just add content.ie5 in the address bar after temporary internet files). It’s always loaded with junk and needs to be emptied every now and then.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Temporary Internet Files
I'm not quite that stupid Stealth. :D:D

Thanks for the advice guys, in the end I'll probably just go in there and delete it by hand. All the sites that I frequent should be in the Forfox cache by now, so it ought to be OK. The interesting thing is, I already deleted all the image files (gif, jpg, png, flash etc) from the old temp folder, and they had NO effect on the folder size. There were quite a few of them, so they should have at least made a dent. This leads me to believe that the folder size that is displayed is wrong, but its only around 100 megs anyway. As I said, I'll probably just end up deleting the whole thing.

edit: Johnathan, thanks I found it. Its only like 12 megs, so I'll clear it out once it gets a bit more full.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Temporary Internet Files
hehe i know man, i was just kidding ;)