Author Topic: SB Taurvi WIP  (Read 50525 times)

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Looks good as far as I can tell. I'd have to check it with the textures though.
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Greetings from the Inferno Team.  As some of you may know, we are currently updating our assets, including transformation of non-HTL models into HTL models and upgrading textures to support bigger resolutions.  Some time ago we inherited the HTL Taurvi map and have been playing around with it.  Although we have not modified the original shape of the HTL model, we have cleaned up its geometry.  This list exhaustively documents our actions:

1. Fused all separate model parts into one whole
2. Fixed bad geometry and plugged up holes in the model
3. Removed redundant vertices.
4. Reduced redundant polygons in certain areas.

This is our result, which is not dissimilar to what the author originally created it to be:

We would like to seek permission from the author to continue working on this model, UVmapping it and making new textures for it.  We will then compile it and send it as an offering to the Community.  Please kindly grant us permission to proceed.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looks good.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :wtf:

why do you need permission?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

I guess they want BrotherByron's permission? I don't know though, just guessing.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think it might be also because of this:

NOTE: Due to the relatively common occurrence of two people unknowingly working on the same ship, we request that rather than keep it as a surprise, an announcement thread of some sort be made ASAP. This is ESPECIALLY encouraged for ships of corvette or above scales due to the huge amount of work involved in their construction. This is not intended to discourage anyone from upgrading whichever ship they please (though ships that do not already have upgraded versions are most definitely preferred!), but merely to try and reduce accidental doubling up.
el hombre vicio...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
By all means go ahead. I am curious though the blender file should have already been pretty clean. I spent a good deal of time ensuring that and unless there were problems converting to another program you shouldn't have to do anything save map, texture, lods, and port. I wonder if you all got the original sketch-up mesh before I converted it to blender and fixed it.

Edit: Attached Blender file

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:36:42 am by BrotherBryon »
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

You always need permission, perhaps even if you technically don't. It is common courtesy and proper integrity to obtain permission to work on someone else's material if you have the intent of releasing it. I have always obtained permission from the respective author of the craft in question to work on developing a new asset from that work whenever possible. That said, it can be a bit harder to do that with V's original models or some of the MediaVP assets, but again, if you can ask, you should.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Thank you for your permission.  FSU can expect something from the INFTeam in about a week.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We are currently UVmapping this model but can also texture it for the Community as well.  However, if someone else wants the texturing job, then please let us know immediately.  If not, then we will texture the Taurvi in our style (see Inferno Eyecandy thread for more details).

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
When did Inferno get so separate?  :nervous:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

I think it would be preferred for Community/MediaVPs usage if it's mapped in typical FS-Shivan style. You'll have to pardon me if that's not a distinctive difference, I'm not familiar with Inferno.

It doesn't have to recycle the Retail map, but it should maintain as close an appearance of that while still indicating somehow that there is definitely a model behind the texture.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Acknowledged; we will do our best to model after the original Taurvi.  After texturing, we will submit a PSP file with all layers intact for the Community to modify at leisure.

Inferno has been a standalone FS2 project for many years now and have indeed deviated somewhat (not by much) from the pattern of development taken by some of the other projects hosted by the Community.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is our early texturing attempt.  We are trying our best to keep the style from the original FS2 textures but are taking certain artistic liberties as well.

Please critique.

INFTeam

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think it's looking good so far.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
This is our early texturing attempt.  We are trying our best to keep the style from the original FS2 textures but are taking certain artistic liberties as well.

Please critique.

INFTeam

Those all look good. On this shot in particular though, I could see there being some red in the recessed area on the back of the wing.

Is there a chance for a straight on bottom and top shot as well?

Otherwise, as stated, those look good. You can definitely tell that you've paid attention to the areas of the model for the detailing of the texture.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
There are a lot of parts, particularly the bottom front in the first shot and the back of the side wings in the second that could use some more detail, also agreed with Zacam.

Otherwise, fine work.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In truth, though more detail might not hurt, it isn't necessary. Having 5k polies per ship often isn't necessary, and maxing out at 4k is really all you need (if that). You don't in most cases need two million polygons to do the job that two thousand can do just as well. And despite the fact that there have been claims that the poly count / vertex count is not so important in relation to processing, there's definately a limit sooner or later. The less your computer has to do, the better your program shoul ideally run. Having a streamlined, efficient FSO with great looking ships does not mean that it's essential to bring everyone's systems to a crawl.

The placement of model elements is what counts, not the number. I think you're hitting the target dead-on here. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Sorry, I meant that the texture needed more detail in those parts.

The thing is though, it's better to make a model for two years into the future than for now, since it won't need upgrading as soon, however it's not such a bit deal.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean it that way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:25:39 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Attached herein is a render of the Taurvi in POF format using a simple unfixed diffuse map and corresponding glow map.  Please critique.

I have sent the Taurvi (all LODs and debris chunks) to the rest of the Inferno Team for compilation, so FSU can expect a completed version in a day or so.

[attachment deleted by ninja]