Off-Topic Discussion > Gaming Discussion

Your First (Non-Console) Gaming Experience

(1/6) > >>

Trivial Psychic:
Inspired from certain reminiscing taking place in the FS 20th Anniversary thread, it is time to show off just how old or young you are and share with us what your first non-console gaming experience was.  Non-Console refers to anything exclusively or primarily intended for gaming.  If it includes a full-sized keyboard, it is likely not a console.  I decline from using the term "PC-Based" to refer to "Non-Console" systems, as there are gaming and computer systems that predate the PC.

My first system was the Commodore Vic-20.  The Vic-20 was nearly a console in that there was a port on the back where gaming cartridges could be inserted.  It also had a tape deck where games or software could be loaded, and although we never had one, it could be fitted with an 8-inch floppy drive.  Also, like a console, you could connect it to a television.  In fact, for most of its life at my home, we used on old B&W set.

We (my friends and family) fried our first one (which cost $300 initially, accessories & all) because we took the gaming cartridges out without turning the thing off first.  However, my mother bought a replacement soon after, used... for $20 and some additional games.

A few years later, the Vic-20 was joined by a Commodore 128, though that was for my older brother when he went away to university, so it wasn't always at home.

We didn't get our first PC until the early 90's.

Spoon:
The first pc my family owned was a 386 bought in oktober 1992, with a stunning 2mb internal ram, a massive 40mb harddrive, a powerful 1mb s-vga graphics chip which displayed its graphics on a black and white monitor. Costing 2049 gulden, which would be 1475 euro in the present day, accounting for inflation. (I somehow still have the original receipt of this thing)
The first game we ever played on it was the original Prince of Persia, who initially refused to stop bumping into the wall to the left, because of the crappy joystick we had plugged in.

Novachen:
My first gaming experience should be from 1998. Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart 64 at a friends place.

Well, that was also the day i began to hate the N64 controller  :D Until today it is by far still the worst controller i had to play with IMO.

In 1999 i get my own PC in the age of 11, not only for gaming but also for the internet. Even my parents were generous back then, because it was already a Pentium II with 333 MHz and a Voodoo 2 in it. Even i think that my dad was some kind of interesting in games back then... even he did not played very much in the end.

Need for Speed: High Stakes was the first real game for it i have, because it was part of the bundle. I played it very much next to Pinball: Space Cadet which was also part of Windows 98 back then.
Freespace 2 was the first game i bought myself. Actually i never know why i came to this game in the first place. :confused: Maybe because we also had a Joystick due of NFS.
It is very funny in today's perspective that i actually played a racing game with a joystick instead of a gamepad.  :lol:

Because FS2 affected my life so much in the following years (it is the reason behind my nickname and was also the inspiration to become a game-designer) i am still thinking about what my life would look like if i had bought another game ^^.

StarSlayer:
Apple IIE

MathBlaster

Marble Madness

The Black Cauldron

Tetris

Rampage:
Supaplex

Supaplex Master Fan Page

R

Navigation

[0] Message Index