Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread  (Read 14610 times)

Re: Steam Summer Sale Discussion Thread
All righty, have an extra Dead Island, and I just need Skyrim and Tomb Raider.

Hey, I'll trade you a Dead Island for my extra Tomb Raider. I'm Scourge on the Steam group.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
maybe this is a dumb question, but what the hell is the point in collecting these cards?

edit: Nevermind, I see it. Can't say I care much since I wasn't aware most of these things existed in the first place. :p
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:40:51 pm by Polpolion »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
All righty, have an extra Dead Island, and I just need Skyrim and Tomb Raider.

Hey, I'll trade you a Dead Island for my extra Tomb Raider. I'm Scourge on the Steam group.
I actually have the Tomb Raider one now, but I'm still up for that trade after I get the Skyrim card, so I can make sure I still have an extra Dead Island handy.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
ok i still can't figure this trading **** out.  Top Gun (mongoose?) is online now but i can find no button or link to initiate trading. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Top Gun (mongoose?) is online now but i can find no button or link to initiate trading. 

Open your friends list, select a friend, click the drop-down arrow and click "Invite to Trade". Big ol' trade window opens and it's pretty self-explanatory from there.

EDIT: In other news, I've crafted my Summer badge. It actually eats up the cards needed to craft it... So anyway, now I have two space Tomb Raiders and a spare Torchlight II free to a good home. First to invite me to trade gets whichever they want.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:00:12 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
ok i still can't figure this trading **** out.  Top Gun (mongoose?) is online now but i can find no button or link to initiate trading. 
Weird...I guess you have your status set to hidden or offline or something, because on my end you show up as last being online 18 hours ago.  But yeah, do what Scourge said, or just send me a message and I'll open the trade window.

(If I'm marked as away, just send it anyway, since I'm probably just out of the room for a bit.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:54:43 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
there was no "invite to trade" option under the arrow.  the arrow directly next to your name has all your aliases.  the other one on the "more" button has 4 options that were block, unfriend, report, invite to join group.

also, that green "sell" button on some of the cards is blocked for me with a message about needing a non-limited account or something like that if that's relevant.

yeah, it's saying 18 hours ago for me too.  this is fkin weird.  and one of the reasons i never bother with steam as anything other than a digital store, or required annoyance for physically bought games.

edit:  just set my profile privacy to friends only (from no one).  i didn't think that should impact trading, but might as well try it.  also checked and adblock is not blocking anything, ghostery only google analytics.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:20:50 pm by Klaustrophobia »

Well, Klaus, I can see you on the list now, so that might have done it. Also, under the Friends menu you can set your status manually, so it's possible that you had it permanently set to "offline" or could have been the profile thing.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking at a specific user's profile page instead of at the friends list. Check this screeshot, if it looks basically like yours, you should be good. On the Friends menu on the main Steam window, click "View Friends List" and go from there.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
got it all figured out with mongoose's help.  among other things, had to turn on the steam security thing.  and as it turns out, can't trade until 15 days after that.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, we kind of hit a confluence of unfortunate circumstances there.  On top of not even knowing about the 15-day waiting period, I didn't even think about Steam Guard not being on, since I've had it turned on since whenever it was that it came out.  Thanks for the attempt, anyway; I did manage to bum a Skyrim card off a friend, so I have the full set now.  The extra Dead Island, Football Manager, and Torchlight are still up for grabs.  I'll be on vacation till this Tuesday though, so don't look for me to be around right away.

Edit: And now a Reus, too, from crafting the badge.  Just what I need! :p
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:37:39 am by Mongoose »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
on a tangential note, anyone know how the cards attached to games work?  apparently you get a certain allotment of "drops" which as near as i can figure you actually get the cards for based on play time, but this number is short of the full set.  so how exactly DOES one complete a set for a game?  buying DLC?

on a tangential note, anyone know how the cards attached to games work?  apparently you get a certain allotment of "drops" which as near as i can figure you actually get the cards for based on play time, but this number is short of the full set.  so how exactly DOES one complete a set for a game?  buying DLC?

If I understand correctly, you can earn additional drops by random chance, just by logging into Steam at least once a week. I'm not extremely clear on that. Otherwise, you'll probably need to buy the remainder on the market (most for 10-30 cents). They're pretty close to old-style paper trading cards in that respect, I guess.

But again, it's completely optional, and not even really worth it to do unless you enjoy meta stuff like that. I also believe that crafting badges may earn additional drops for that game, maybe.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I've found that you tend get an allotment of drops equaling 50% (rounding  down  up) of the total cards needed to craft a badge.  So if you need 10 cards, then you get 5 drops.  But if you need 9 cards, then you [also] get  4  5 drops.  The drops themselves are, of course, randomized.

The drops happen over an 'active' period of time anywhere from 20 minutes per drop to please shoot me in the ****ing face it has been four hours and I still haven't gotten them all.

As for the random booster packs (three additional drops, not the cards themselves)....  I've yet to get one, and their little description isn't terribly helpful in establishing odds; it just says that they (it doesn't say how many) can spawn and get distributed when someone crafts a badge.  To qualify for that you need to (as Scourge said) log in once a week, and have no available drops for whichever game's badge was crafted.

-

I think the market rates are interesting.  It seems like, aside from a few specific backgrounds, no one wants any of the crap (most of it sells for under ten cents) you get for crafting the badges.

::EDITED FOR FACEPALM PURPOSES::
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:34:48 am by BloodEagle »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i got a foil bioshock card.  maybe i can get twenty? :D

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've found that you tend get an allotment of drops equaling 50% (rounding down) of the total cards needed to craft a badge.  So if you need 10 cards, then you get 5 drops.  But if you need 9 cards, then you get 4 drops.  The drops themselves are, of course, randomized.
Except every 9 card game I have lists 5 drops, a 7 card game lists 4 drops, a 13 card game lists 7 drops, and a 15 card game lists 8 drops. Seems pretty clear it rounds up.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
And apparently I misremembered. *facepalm*

I blame Terraria for giving me so many duplicates.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If anything, this summer sale reminded me of how very few games are of any interest (to me). So far I have grabbed Tomb Raider and Van Helsing. The first largely because of The E's recommendation and the latter because it reminded me of Torchlight and its sequel, which were great games. My only concern these days is not to increase number of games I am unlikely to ever finish.

Tomb Raider has so far failed to grab my interest, might change once I get further into the game. Combat feels somehow unnecessarily awkward. Jury is still out on Van Helsing as I only started it a moment ago.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I know what you mean Fury.

I have the following installed and yet to finish (this does not include games I started and have no desire to finish):

Assassin's Creed I
Bastion (In progress)
Company of Heroes:  Tales of Valor
KOTOR 2
Thief 2 (In progress)
Thief 3
The Witcher
XCOM (the new one)

The combination of wife, kid, work, and multiplayer games have conspired to increase my backlog immensely.  I want to pick up Skyrim eventually, but I've really scaled back my purchases... I had the Stalker sequels and Fallout New Vegas on my wishlist, but have since deleted them because there is no way I will have the time.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I wish Steam sold HD space to install all those games on. :) For example, I've got a full Half Life pack, with every expansion, every chapter and some other bonus stuff, but currently, I'm out of disk space to install all this. Looks like I'm gonna get myself a new HD, and not as a replacement, either. :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I used to have that problem after I got my SSD. Then I realized there is no need whatsoever to have all games downloaded. These days Steam client even supports installing games to different location than default. It is unfortunate that it doesn't seem to support changing that location afterwards. That's why I still find managing that with symlinks much easier if I move rarely played games away from SSD to HDD or back to SSD again. At the moment I have only 5 games installed in Steam, out of which I am semi-actively playing two. Third has been on hold for many weeks now. Two of them I haven't even touched since they were downloaded.

I know what you mean Fury.
I've got currently 30 games I have yet to finish. I have more than enough time to play them, problem is that these games bore the hell out of me within minutes. Which leads me to wasting time on other frivolous activities. I actually wish I had proper hobby or something else to do as I spend most of my days utterly bored.

And in regards to my previous post, for what it's worth I found that Van Helsing is more fun than Tomb Raider.

All that said, there are some games I really love to play. It just feels disheartening to buy games and have maybe one in ten games actually be interesting and fun to play. So much wasted money due to lack of playable demos.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:03:25 pm by Fury »