Author Topic: RELEASE: The Antagonist  (Read 60539 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: RELEASE: The Antagonist
I can't believe I passed this up for so damn long (Especially since it's dedicated to me, man do I feel like a jackass now). It is really great. Play it NAO.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Oh, forgot to post here, just wanted to say  :yes:

Woo-hoo!  What a ride!  Just finished.  Now I'm going to bed.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

:bump: Just played this again, almost 6 months later.  Because it is awesome!  I think this may well be one of the most fun campaigns I've every played.  It's kind of like living a personal fantasy.

I keep trying to put into words the impression this mod keeps leaving me with, and why I enjoy it so much, but for some reason the words just aren't flowing today.  Basically, I really enjoy the whole, "You are hinge around which the whole universe pivots," thing.  Complete with God-level firepower.  That bit is fun too.

I realize I'm double posting over a 6 month span (pretty bad form), but I just wanted to say again how much I keep enjoying this campaign!  Thanks!
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Just Finished it, very very entertaining, I can tell a lot of work went into this, really don't know why I didn't play this sooner. Just two things 1. wish there was a way to see what happens if you make a different decision. 2. How seriously are we supposed to take this? Like bp serious or WOD serious?
Stuff

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Finished this a couple of months ago. It's a little short, but all the new gameplay mechanics more than make up for that. I also thought the story was pretty good, as far as FS campaigns go.
Spoiler:
Edward's betrayal
was painful, and I even felt bad for some of the enemy fighters (just Sapphire and that guy Granite killed, actually).

Good job. :yes:

Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Luis Dias

Damned. I really want to play this but ain' got the time!

It really is pretty short and sweet.  If you have two hours to bang together for warmth, use them and play this.  Even if it means giving up sleep for one night, it's worth it.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I totally agree with perihelion. I actually think The Antagonist could do really well as a standalone indie game.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah well my home computer is just a mess.... I'll try to try it tonight!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
:bump: Just played this again, almost 6 months later.  Because it is awesome!  I think this may well be one of the most fun campaigns I've every played.  It's kind of like living a personal fantasy.

I keep trying to put into words the impression this mod keeps leaving me with, and why I enjoy it so much, but for some reason the words just aren't flowing today.  Basically, I really enjoy the whole, "You are hinge around which the whole universe pivots," thing.  Complete with God-level firepower.  That bit is fun too.

I realize I'm double posting over a 6 month span (pretty bad form), but I just wanted to say again how much I keep enjoying this campaign!  Thanks!

Hey thanks for the comments. It's really surprising (in a good way) that people still play this. 

Just Finished it, very very entertaining, I can tell a lot of work went into this, really don't know why I didn't play this sooner. Just two things 1. wish there was a way to see what happens if you make a different decision. 2. How seriously are we supposed to take this? Like bp serious or WOD serious?

It's certainly intended to be taken as a ride. The plot is meant to be felt rather than studied if that makes sense.

I totally agree with perihelion. I actually think The Antagonist could do really well as a standalone indie game.

That's not a bad idea. One major obstacle to that is this mod assumes the player understands the standard freespace controls as no tutorial is provided. Not sure how effective a "here are the controls" readme would be.

Really appreciate that review you made. Just read it again... dang.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Nothing prevents you to make a tutorial and re-release with it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
standalone sounds like something you should do, tutorial or not!
one more thing: if i remember correctly you voice acted the ships computer and the player character both yourself, didn't you? now, since the board computer is, well, a computer - and be it a advanced one, i think TTS voice-acting wouldn't be too unfitting for him, even by higher standards -> give me a word if you want me to provide you some TTS voice acting for him
thinking of it, now that people know how cool this campaign is, maybe they would be more willing to contribute than the first time you tried, if you'd ask for some voice actors again

this campaign/mod is worth it
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:30:20 pm by fightermedic »
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Axem

Noooooooooooooo...

Edward has a perfectly creepy and fitting voice right now. TTS won't save the inflections and deceiving tones that Edward throws around. If the mod needs polishing up, it is not in the voice acting department.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
If the mod needs polishing up, it is not in the voice acting department.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to normalize the volume, since as mentioned here, some voices (such as yours truly :nervous:) are much softer than others, but presumably that's pretty easy to do.

EDIT: I did play this around the time that it came out and loved it, but for some reason never thought to post about it. :blah:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:07:13 am by jg18 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I played this yesterday and it's a remarkable campaign, easily one of my all time favorites. This kind of visceral gameplay is something I've long wanted to see in singleplayer FS2. :yes: Almost every mission brought in some new gameplay twist, while still maintaining a consistent, action-packed feel throughout the campaign. The plot is simplistic but has a slick presentation and fits the gameplay well (although the universe has potential for more, looking at the tech room entries), and the new models and music are great as well.

I usually tried to keep my distance from enemies, since most of them (except the final boss) are less effective at long range and can be picked off with the APE. It helps to alternate between maximum energy on shields while afterburning, followed by maximum energy on engines to recharge the burners. The missiles are all useful in different situations but the APE is the only truly effective primary, and I used that almost all the time. The shield-piercing gun is powerful but uses up too much energy to be worthwhile.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I played this yesterday and it's a remarkable campaign, easily one of my all time favorites. This kind of visceral gameplay is something I've long wanted to see in singleplayer FS2. :yes: Almost every mission brought in some new gameplay twist, while still maintaining a consistent, action-packed feel throughout the campaign. The plot is simplistic but has a slick presentation and fits the gameplay well (although the universe has potential for more, looking at the tech room entries), and the new models and music are great as well.

I usually tried to keep my distance from enemies, since most of them (except the final boss) are less effective at long range and can be picked off with the APE. It helps to alternate between maximum energy on shields while afterburning, followed by maximum energy on engines to recharge the burners. The missiles are all useful in different situations but the APE is the only truly effective primary, and I used that almost all the time. The shield-piercing gun is powerful but uses up too much energy to be worthwhile.

I wanted to add that (having just shipped a campaign with a bunch of new gameplay mechanics that are not taught too well!) I still endlessly admire the way Antagonist teaches its mechanics to the player. Like CP said, you get something new every mission, but the consistent grammar of the introductions - use this new ability, and now in combination with another, and now under stress - makes it really easy to grasp every new challenge and understand how to attack it. Stellar design.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Just re-downloaded this and accidentally did an iron-man of it in one life.

Its uniquely satisfying to experience this campaign completely contiguously, from start to finish.  Weapons are awesome, gameplay is awesome, fairly cool story, etc.

I noted what seemed like altered voice acting files though, I have to say that

Spoiler:
the part where the oligarch screams "NNNNOOOOOOOO--" was better when the VA totally overloaded the microphone. (not sure if it was changed, I remember a distinct overload however)  It added almost hilarious emphasis to his horror.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
This was a blast!  Playing it again, with glide this time.  :)  I still ran into the occasional crashes in the usual places, using 3.7.2 (RC5) and nightly 11251, but was able to finish the campaign.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Nice game, though its hard. The new ship is a blast to fly along with the awesome weapons. I really hate its skin though. Also did you guys make the sounds custom? It sounds like beatboxing :lol: