Author Topic: Awakenings and Shrouding the Light  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Awakenings and Shrouding the Light
Both of these campaigns were originally released for FSPort Version 2. With the release of FSPort 3.2 imminent, I think it's time these were upgraded to take full advantage of FSPort and the FSPort Media VPs.

I have attached revised missions for Awakenings, but there's more enhancements that can be done; they need SCP backgrounds and squad logos for enemy wings.

Shrouding the Light, meanwhile, is a hybrid mess. These campaigns should be able to run natively on FSPort 3. The modpack needs to be carefully gone through to work out what, if anything, needs to be included.

Although anything that runs on FSPort 3 will run on FSPort 3.2, another look at these after the release would be a good idea.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Re: Awakenings and Shrouding the Light
Shouldn't this be posted on the private board? ;)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Not really. This is stuff that anyone can do, using publicly released content.

If you mean the FSCRP private board, I don't have access to it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

If Awakenings is redone, could you make it so that the GTD Iowa doesn't try to drag the GTI Galatea into subspace when it jumps out after being refitted?   :lol:
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
INFASA features an SCP edition of Awakenings (compatible with the FSPort), and I playtested it a while ago without any problems. I'll take a look at this soon, my holidays are about to begin. :)

If Awakenings is redone, could you make it so that the GTD Iowa doesn't try to drag the GTI Galatea into subspace when it jumps out after being refitted?   :lol:

This one deserves some attention. Do you remember any other problems you experienced with this campaign?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Well, I just happened to be playing through the campaign for the first time when I saw this thread, and I just finished it.  That was the only real glaring technical problem that I can put my finger on, though there were things that bothered me.  Might want to change up the naming conventions, for instance; they were all over the map, drawing from Star Wars halfway through and from World War II towards the end.  Also:  (Major plot point.) 
Spoiler:
In the mission where the Lucifer first shows up and destroys the GTD Minnow (shades of Blue Planet, anyone?), it doesn't have it's shields.  I was able to dive straight at the beam cannons and start shooting them out.  I didn't save the Minnow, but I was able to damage the Lucifer.
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
These campaigns should be able to run natively on FSPort 3. The modpack needs to be carefully gone through to work out what, if anything, needs to be included.
I'm pretty sure that both campaigns can already run on 3.x.  I know Shrouding the Light can, and Awakenings should too since it includes its own ships.tbl.  It's entirely possible that the modpacks include redundant mods, but that doesn't mean they're incompatible.

Turn off the mediaVPs. :p  Bobboau's Orion includes all sorts of dangly bits that get hung up on the Arcadia.

Also:  (Major plot point.)  
Spoiler:
In the mission where the Lucifer first shows up and destroys the GTD Minnow (shades of Blue Planet, anyone?), it doesn't have it's shields.
Spoiler:
That must have been the mission!  I remember one time in college when my roommate destroyed an unshielded Lucifer in a Valkyrie, with Furies, over the course of about an hour.  It was in an unmodified FS1 mission and I thought it was in the main FS1 campaign, but it had to have been this.

It was a pretty incredible achievement, and he got an epic promotion out of the effort too.  Sadly, the Lucifer returned in the very next mission.

In the Awakenings campaign (I know you've already been through it) in the mission where the Normandy battlegroup enters the Ross 128 system. After you finish up the already existing defenders, alpha 4 signals that he/she found a subspace anomaly, after which he is instructed to check it out, so the ship receives a follow-waypoint-path order. However, if during the previous engagements you give any orders to Alpha wing, Alpha 4 will ignore the follow-waypoint-path order, leading to the mission stalling and nothing ever happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mm, so it does.  Alpha 4 would need a clear-goals first.

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I played STL recently and it ran well, as fa as i can tell some other things shall be assigned higher priority.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, I uploaded a new version of Awakenings with a clear-goals sexp added to that mission.

I've also noticed the Arcadia starting to run with the Iowa problem:D I understand it's a problem with the models, but couldn't you... uhm... lengthen the distance between the two? Just asking:D
Thanks for the check on the Alpha 4 problem.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
How much additional distance does there need to be between the Orion and Arcadia?