Author Topic: Hygeia Docking Avoidance  (Read 1595 times)

Offline AV8R

Hygeia Docking Avoidance
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue: I was playing some of my favorite FS2 missions (I really like the last few missions and enjoy playing them thru occasionally to keep my joystick skills up). But, this weekend when I played thru Dunkerque, I noticed that if one of my wingmen asked for a reload, the Hygeia ship would just circle around the ship that made the request but would never actually dock with it. If I call in the Hygeia, it will happily dock with my ship and reload me, but when my wingmen ask - the Hygeia pilot is like, "Nope, not today!" This will go on for about a minute and then the requesting ship will eventually give up and go about its business, but if another wingman puts in a request the same thing will occur.

Here's what I've discovered about this issue so far:
1) This only happens in FS2 - it does not happen in FS Port, Silent Threat, Destiny of Peace or any of the other mods in my meager collection.
2) This only happens with 21.4 - if I go back to 21.2, the Hygeia docks with the wingmen just fine during the missions.
3) I haven't tried ALL of the FS2 missions, so I don't know if this starts to happen after a specific point in the game or in any mission (or any FS2-based mod/mission, for that matter).

I'll go back to some of the earlier missions in FS2 to see if the Hygeia avoids docking with wingmen in those missions too, but I also wanted to see if others here can duplicate this behavior. As a test, pick any FS2 mission (I first noticed this behavior in Dunkerque, so perhaps try that first), complete the mission, and hang around afterward and ask for a reload. Then see what happens when your wingmen ask for a reload and observe the Hygeia's behavior. Does it dock, or just circle around the requesting ship?

I'll report back on any other missions I can say for sure this is happening in too.

Thanks, and happy holidays to one and all!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Hygeia Docking Avoidance
I've cross-posted this to a Github issue:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/3853

Offline AV8R

Goober5000,

I tried a bunch of other FS2 missions, but the wingmen got their reloads in all of the earlier missions where I could stick around post-mission with my wingmen and they could ask for a reload on their own. The only mission I can seem to duplicate this issue in at this point is "Dunkerque", post mission (although I did just see someone make a post in your bug report that it also happened to them in Blue-Planet and what they described there is exactly the behavior I was seeing too - so at least there is some confirmation of a possible bug).

If I see anymore of this behavior anywhere else I will post it here (if it is not already confirmed fixed in this or another thread).

Thanks

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
When this happens, are you watching the ships in question? As in, they're on screen? And if so, is it possible at all that they weren't when you tested on old versions?

I ask because collision detection and I believe avoidance is not done between friendly ships that are off screen, so two ships that shouldn't be able to can dock if nobody is watching them. :lol: It feels like a longshot that this would have been consistently the case in your testing of new versions and consistently not the case in the old versions, but it seems possible enough to be worth checking.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The code doesn't do collision detection between two ships that are docking, though.

Offline Rhys

I had this issue as well when I played the latest version a couple weeks ago. The support ship would just kind of hover around my ship but not dock. I recall the issue appearing towards the end of the game in some missions.

Oh and this was on FSO 21.4.0 running 4.5.1 MediaVPs.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hello, sorry for the delay.

Which ships are having the issue?  Some have pointed out on discord that the waypoint paths may be to blame.

Also, which mods are you using when this happens?  Your log should have all the imformation needed, should you have one ready to go.  Be aware that the log is only relevent if you just recently played the same mod package (including mediavps).

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The root cause of this bug has been found:
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/3853

Thanks to some detective work by Renegade Paladin, the root cause has been identified. Due to a bug dating from the introduction of $ai path mode: in 2011, it was not actually used until the bug was fixed in #3610. Then, because the MediaVPs overrode the base-level profile, the alt1 pathing mode was applied to every mod.

The next version of the MediaVPs will a) use their own FSU MEDIAVPS profile rather than overriding the base profile, and b) not use the alt1 pathing mode. Unfortunately, end users will not see the fix until the new version is released.

Offline AV8R

I afraid to report that, having downloaded and played FSO version 22, that the Hygeia docking avoidance bug is still present - specifically in the same mission "Dunkerque" (I can duplicate the bug over and over at the end of that mission - but I am unable to witness/observe the bug in any other missions thus far, nor have I seen the bug in FS Post or Silent Threat).

Can anyone else confirm this? Play through the same mission and complete it successfully, then stick around after the Messana departs and the Arcadia installation blows up and wait for your wingmen to ask for for a reload and see if this same phenomenon occurs with your installation. This is with the latest version of FSO (22) and the latest MediaVPs. I'm going to try this mission without the MediaVPs to see if it behaves differently and report back here what I find.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This bug should be fixed once the next MediaVPs release is out.

Offline AV8R

This bug should be fixed once the next MediaVPs release is out.

Oh, so this was a MediaVPs issue and not an FSO executable issue. Interesting.

Thanks for the clarification. Once the new MediaVPs are released, I'll verify that it indeed fixed the problem and post it here.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh, so this was a MediaVPs issue and not an FSO executable issue. Interesting.

It was both, actually.  The MediaVPs were misconfigured from around 2011, but due to a bug this didn't matter.  It wasn't until a very recent FSO bugfix that the misconfiguration started affecting missions.

Offline AV8R

Re: Hygeia Docking Avoidance (Fixed)

With the release of the latest MediaVPs, I am happy to announce this is no longer an issue (at least for me). I've played through FS2 (and especially played through "Dunkerque" numerous times - where I would mostly see this phenomenon) and the Hygeia no longer runs around my wingmen, refusing to dock. Thanks for your continued efforts. It's great to see this mod/community continue to grow, evolve and get better and better year after year.

Thank you all for your efforts!  :yes: :nod: :yes:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Glad to hear it :yes: