Hosted Projects - Standalone > The Babylon Project

[Progress Update] In The Beginning

<< < (2/6) > >>

Trivial Psychic:
The more difficult part is trying to get fighters to warp OUT with a warship.  You need an event to get all of the fighters to close in on the ship, when they get close enough you clear their goals, tell them to head for a waypoint that the warship is going towards, or at least aiming at.  If the warship is stationary, you then need to clear goals again and give it a play-dead order.  Once all of the fighters are in place, then you trigger the jump of the warship, followed by that for the fighters, with the 0.01 size, silence the sounds, and give it the 750m/s or so warpout speed.  I'd also suggest increasing the warship's warp side to 1000m.  It the warship is in motion, you need to cap the fighters' speeds to match the warship.  I haven't tried out the stationary warp yet, but that's what I've deduced.  Doing this in combat however would be a nightmare, as the fighters can't do evasive maneuvers while playing dead.  A warship could lose its entire fighter complement while waiting for them to all get in position.

In regards to collision groups, I have no idea how to use that sexp.  If it was simply flagging the ship as having no collisions, it would be much easier, but aside from these collision-group sexps, the only ones you can change in-mission are the no-collide-invisible ones.

wesp5:

--- Quote from: Trivial Psychic on March 20, 2022, 06:23:45 pm ---The more difficult part is trying to get fighters to warp OUT with a warship.

--- End quote ---

Gladly, most of the times this is not needed as the player has to destroy all fighters :)!

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: Trivial Psychic on March 20, 2022, 06:23:45 pm ---In regards to collision groups, I have no idea how to use that sexp.  If it was simply flagging the ship as having no collisions, it would be much easier, but aside from these collision-group sexps, the only ones you can change in-mission are the no-collide-invisible ones.

--- End quote ---

If you want to disable all collisions, you need to use the alter-ship-flag SEXP and use it turn "collides" from "true" to "false" (except when you ship already is no-collidable, which can be set in the Ships Editor) or vice versa.

But collision groups are more selective and so less prone to undesirable outcomes - as ships in a collision group still collide with everything that is not in that collision group.
There are two sets of "add" and "remove" which do the same thing only the way how you input the data is different (1 ship, multiple groups <> 1 group, multiple ships).

Trivial Psychic:
This is most perplexing.  I created a test mission to experiment with speeds for warping fighters, and when I found the right balance, I introduced it into existing missions, however it seems that in existing missions, they ignore my changes.  Regardless of my adjustments, they all act as though they've been given a simple no-warp-effect command, and arrive at a zero velocity.  I've tried a number of different things to see if it makes a difference, but to no avail.  It is as though there is a phantom mission code that is existing behind the text of the mission file, and it is overriding what the text says.  I'm gonna try to add new wings to the mission and see if they make any difference.  This is QUITE the annoying bug.

I've got another mission where I've got a transport departing through a warp effect, and regardless of my changes, it always generates a regular warp cone for it, even though I've shrunk it down to 0.01m in size.  I thought that perhaps the presence of the cargo pod docked to it might be having an effect, and so gave the cargo pod a 0.01m warp size, regardless of the fact that since it's docked, it has no departure.  It didn't make any difference.

For anyone who wants to know, I've been working with RC4.

:mad:

Trivial Psychic:
Well, first thing I've learned is that adding a docked object to something will override your custom warp effect size.  I've opened an issue on GitHub, and Goober is looking into it.

The second thing I've learned, is that trying to adjust warping effects on fighters from older missions leads to it ignoring your custom warping speed parameters.  I'm in the process of manually adding new wings to the missions, giving them the desired warp parameters, deleting the old wings, and then renaming the new ones to match the old ones.  I tried doing some of this via text, but it didn't work, so it has to be done one step at a time.  Make first change, test, stop.  Make second change, test, stop.  Make third change, etc.  In the mission I'm working currently, the fighters don't warp in until you've gone through about 8min of mission time, so its quite tedious.  Once I'm sure my method works properly, I can afford to be a bit less cautious, but it will still slow me down.

As an update to my update, I've been able to get my fighter wings to perform my high-speed warp exit properly, as expected, by replacing every affected wing with a newly-created one.  I am getting confident enough in my process that I believe I can do all of the changes for a mission at once, rather than make a change, test and confirm, make another change, test and confirm, etc.  The process should go quicker and smoother now.

Another update to my updated update.  I was having trouble getting some Minbari fighters to warp in side-by-side with their mothership, even AFTER replacing them with new fighters.  I eventually tried out a new trick, after doing a bit of testing outside the mission.  I've found that you can boost a ship's warping speed (either in or out) by adjusting the time factor.  The lower the number, the quicker it will move.  I gave the fighters a time of 0.02, and also reduced the cruiser's warping speed to 300m/s, and it worked out.  Just a new trick in the book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version