Author Topic: FREESPACE Doom III Project  (Read 10253 times)

Offline Anaz

FREESPACE Doom III Project
cool!!

now we have 3 high poly modders, soon we won't need the realization project :D
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Kazashi

A few things on my mind. Firstly, the issue about 170,000 polys per model - let me start by mentioning that Quake 2, with its MD2 format, could handle objects with up to 4096 triangles. But really, would you make a game with 4,000 poly models if the target PC's were from 90Mhz-500Mhz? MD5 may very well be able to handle 170k objects, but even an XP 3400+ and GF FX will chug. The models in Doom 3 currently only consist of several thousand triangles, they look much higher detail because their textures are created from models in the hundreds of thousands, and even the millions, of polys. So simply whacking in one of those high detail models could be asking for trouble if you don't take performance into consideration.

If you're going to make maps based in space, I hope they're not too populated, and I certainly hope that you don't combine space and ground scenes in the one map. Can you imagine how much memory that would eat up? That's what limits the size of each individual map - if you could fit a whole games worth of maps into your system memory, then they'd build the whole game as one continuous level. I'm not saying that the idea won't work, but it needs a lot of planning, not just building things.

Doom 3 will apparently be shipped with the level editor, like Unreal, Serious Sam, FS2 etc. Which is supposed to have a nice on-the-fly sound editor. Model converters may or may not be included, but they will come out quickly. Lightwave appears to be one of the suites used, and supposedly some of the models from the leaked alpha were in .lwo form, so that should make it easier for people to plan ahead with relevant mods.

Note that all this may change in future, so don't take my word for it.
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

thanks for the info.  I don't think i'm going to use 170k poly models i just was stating that doom 3 could handle it.  Also thanks for the comments on the 3d model.  I don't really plan on having a ton of brushes in the space maps possibly not even any, i imagine that it would have to have a sky box for the background but the rest would be models.

Heres an updated Basilisk:

ooo nice! make it in the game!

Offline Solatar

If you're going to make a MOD that corrresponds with the V-T War, I'd be glad to get you a storyline for the entire V-T War. Complete with major battles, dates, all the cease fires, and ship introduction (not totally sure about ship introductions, but we could go ahead and write it if you need it).

The only catch is that you won't be able to release anything that gives away our storyline before those parts of the TVWP are finished.

Ill think about it,  I wouldn't be releasing any game content for a while so don't worry about that and if i did i wouldn't release anything that would hurt your project or give anything away.

I also have a website up not sure if im going to keep this design or switch it:  http://www.geocities.com/generalyoda24/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2003, 03:50:43 pm by 1012 »

(sorry for the double posts) if anyone wants to help please contact [email protected] or PM here on the HLP forum.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
I like the design, just needs some stuff in it.  ;)

e-mail's on the way with details.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

humm for some reason hotmail isn't working right now ill check it later though :)

Offline Windrunner

• The Hammer.
I have read some of the posts here and i don't like seeing that people flame eachother. it stops here or the threa will be closed. And as for the project, i understand that its a lot of work and all but ZylonBane instead of telling him that he should forget the whole thing is of no help. Try at least say something positive.  

This guy (General yoda) seems to be very talented at modeling. i hope he hangs around these boards for a long time. Those models that you've looks awesome.

Hope you get the help that you need.
Staffmember: Hard Light Productions
I said a lot of things.  Some of them were even true. - Aldo_14

thanks for the positive comments :)

sound interesting...I saw the Doom III graphics few days ago...:eek2:

yes we hope to create some really cool effects with the doom 3 engine :)

well good luck:)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Alpha Leader
sound interesting...I saw the Doom III graphics few days ago...:eek2:

hehe, did you get your jaw back? I think you left it somewhere :p
SCREW CANON!

just a couple of questions...
There are some things I'd like to see in the future for a TOTAL sci-fi combat sim.

Can D3 handle the following:

1.) underwater battles. For surface ships and submarines, or mechs that walk into the water... A veritech would have to change to mech mode or take damage crashing on the surface...

2.) full ground battles with air support. meaning usual surface combat (tanks, infantry, ect...) Bases and installations (with underground bunker levels for vehicles and infantry (no cap ships! but probably fighters! ala Descent 1-3)...  Except maybe one big underground hangar where a capship was built and about to take off! Can hanar doors open to the surface and you have to destroy, or dock with the ship before it takes off? As for the air support as much altitude as possible simulating the lower atmosphere (ala Mechwarrior 3/4 had arespace fighters and helicopters)... if you go above the ceiling limit you are out of the game simulating entering the upper atmosphere/space.

3.) Able to dipict a whole solar system as a battlefield. keeping the battle in space. if someone goes to a planet and gets too close they are out of the game (simulating entering the atmospere going to ground battle mode/level) warping from locations if the battle changes (like Star Fleet academy. enemies can run to other systems, but you can follow them there and fight some more - if you pick the right system!). Make the BIG asteroid from Empire Strikes back and have a battle interly inside the asteroid! maybe even capships (in a mod I am working on one of these asteroids in a base that (censored)...)

4.) can have models form other programs ported to general formats whose file size ranges upwards to 2-5 mb?( average of 2 mb...) Unknown number of pollygons but unless specifically created for FS2 I've found converting models a very difficult process since I cannot model.

That's basically all my questions. I'm crazy too cause I want the super robots from the 70's in my mod, and also a Gundam TC (original series to present day). Most of the time it;'s just me so hang in there General Yoda!!! I know how you feel.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Hey thanks for the input.  Well going from space to a ground battle might be a little too hard to create, well i supose it could be done by flying near the planet and then it would load another level just like in standard FPS game or like in half-life where you could go from level to level and it would still save progress. m Although i would rather stick to just having a space battle and not going from planet to space or space to planet.  We were going to have marines boarding ships where you could play as the marine or zero-g combat with shivans.  I am still considering ground combat because well the shivans never landed on planets although...there is a way i know how to fit it in but i can't say why yet :)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by General Yoda
I am still considering ground combat because well the shivans never landed on planets although...there is a way i know how to fit it in but i can't say why yet :)

There's always the NTF.:D
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Also if anyone here has nay talents for 2d/3d art or basicly any other talent that could help the mod contact me at [email protected]  thanks :D