Author Topic: Missions  (Read 8062 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not enough :) I predicted that everyone would say Lions Den and I'm seeeing far too much dissent ;)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah, I was trying to offer alternative favourites. I like Lions Den too. Though I probably don't have a _favourite_, but rather just a few that stand above the rest.

I think someone mentioned their least favourite mission, that'd have to be loop2-1, the one before lions den. There's nothing I enjoy more to waltz around an electromagnetic storm, destroy a bunch of basilisks that can't help running into me, loosing half my wingmen only to find snipes and die to massed numbers of Piranhas. Yeehaw :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What difficulty level are you playing on?  I've never had serious problems with that - it's challenging, sure, but I can beat it if I'm not being careless.

Incidentally, you don't need to follow all the navbuoys... you can cheat if you fly from nav 1 to nav 2 and then keep on going. :) Several km later, you wind up right next to the transport.

My least favorite mission is Proving Grounds.  Especially if I'm trying to get the medal.  Ugh.

What difficulty level are you playing on? I've never had serious problems with that - it's challenging, sure, but I can beat it if I'm not being careless.

Incidentally, you don't need to follow all the navbuoys... you can cheat if you fly from nav 1 to nav 2 and then keep on going.  Several km later, you wind up right next to the transport.

Well, I generally don't cheat, and generally play on hard. I probably wouldn't have a problem yet, but what I did originally was spotted the basilisks, and then ran towards my wingmen who were usually a couple kilometers off so they could engage. That didn't really work though, because all my wingmen died. I eventually learned that if you charge into the basilisks they don't really get time to fire off their rockeyes.

I still die to the Piranhas though, I hate Piranhas. On both this mission, and on the mission where you have to save the Aquitaine (after you loose the Psamtik), I'd die to Piranhas ALL THE TIME.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, Piranhas are no fun.  What I often do is have every fighter protect me while I go after the bombers.  My wingmen draw their fire, while usually I can pick the Shivans off quickly enough to save most of my wingmen.

That, and always keeping a finger on X is helpful. :)

Well, having my finger on button 04 or whatever it is for me is fine, until I run out. I find that Burners don't help too much versus Piranhas, mainly because they're attacking you from several different angles instead of one vector like Hornets or something which are quite easy to dodge

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I find the best way to deal with bombers is to hit your burners and race in behined them before you smash them.

I also like to perform what i call the "Lenier Manuver" (A character from Babylon 5) which is basicly just getting the enemy fighters to follow you, then cutting your engines and doing a complete 180 to blast the enemy ships as they fly towards you.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
The thing about Lion's Den for me was that while the first few minutes were a blast, I nearly always ended up hanging around the node for six, seven minutes because I had already taken out all the comm nodes and Shivan fighters and bombers.

Likewise with High Noon - because I had played Bearbaiting twenty times over to do it perfect, like, all I ever did was stand around waiting for the Colossus to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y destroy the Sathanas while being overdramatic about destroying the disarmed and basically useless Shivan juggernaut.

I enjoyed Bearbaiting though. Hearkening back to the original Freespace, I liked the original Clash of the Titans, 'specially when I did it right, and Playing Judas. The original Exodus was fun too. I remember Shell Game badly, though, 'cause I spent ages trying to get all of the freighters and transports before they escaped.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Playing Judas would have to be my faverioute ever in histroy...except NO imitations :lol:

I wish there were more strategic missions like that instead of just "Shoot all the badass Shivans"
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Blaise Russel
Likewise with High Noon - because I had played Bearbaiting twenty times over to do it perfect, like, all I ever did was stand around waiting for the Colossus to ever so s-l-o-w-l-y destroy the Sathanas while being overdramatic about destroying the disarmed and basically useless Shivan juggernaut.

You're supposed to help the Colossus. :) It's not the missions fault if you're a coward who hides behind it :p

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
And do what, exactly? The Colossus doesn't need my help. I've already disarmed the Sathanas, there's no point in chasing after it to do 1-2% of damage on each attack run when everyone can sit back at a safe distance and the Colossus can lay the smack down with its beam cannons.

Offline Zarax

At least it dies more quickly...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You aren't supposed to know that the Colossus will be able to kill the Sath. That 1-2% might have made the difference :)

Offline Zarax

And btw if you fail to destroy all beam cannons in the previous mission you will have to disable them...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline magatsu1

couldn't believe the debrief from the previous mission if you do fail to kill 'em all:
"due to your incompetence(or whatever)"
I was liike, hey screw you!! Maybe if I could dump the trebs and add acouple of Helios'!! And as for the other Pilots...(etc)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Blaise Russel
The thing about Lion's Den for me was that while the first few minutes were a blast, I nearly always ended up hanging around the node for six, seven minutes because I had already taken out all the comm nodes and Shivan fighters and bombers.
Heh, me too.  Then when I'm inside the node waiting and the Nebiros jumps in, Snipes freaks out about the beam cannons while it coasts to a safe 2-3 km away. :lol:

See, though, beams don't count in the score calculation.  So if you bomb the Sathanas, even if you only damage it 1-2%, you get full credit for the kill. :drevil:

I enjoyed Bearbaiting though. Hearkening back to the original Freespace, I liked the original Clash of the Titans, 'specially when I did it right, and Playing Judas. The original Exodus was fun too. I remember Shell Game badly, though, 'cause I spent ages trying to get all of the freighters and transports before they escaped.
Me too.  Then I discovered that the transports aren't actually cued to jump out... they reach the node and just sit there.  So you can destroy the freighters first and then take out the transports at your leisure.  Makes it much easier. ;)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
*resists urge to start up old FS1 and FS2 again, returns to FREDding*

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Oh, and original Clash of the Titans was perhaps even more memorable than Playing Judas.
"This looks like an ambush!" and then the Demon warps in. "oh****oh****oh****..." God, I've must played that mission thirty times because I wanted to beat the secondary objectives and get that medal. Not that it was any use, though.

Resistance is futile.
lol wtf

Offline radaga

What's with "A Game of TAG" is it the mission to make you feel less overconfident?

Crappy mission,  you fly an inferior ship, with a dumb missile, that still have to wait for the big ship to hit your target (that begins spinning the moment the beams hit them, so you supporting the kill is awful)

Besides, the MARA are far more agile and fast, to hit a single TAG on them is a pain, not to mention their "infinite missiles" that keep on being fired behind you.

The AWACS stay FAR from the cruiser, so "protecting" them with a kinectic cannon and a subachi-7 alone is simply impossible.

To top things, I simply hate when AI pilots use suicide tactics. They have faster and more maneuvarable flyiers, and keep hammering them on your ship. "collision/collision/collision"

I feel this is the worse mission, pointless flying around trying to hit zero damage dumbfire missiles, and become responsable for the AWACS death at the end simply sucks. You dont have wingmen, cant ask for reforce, is not armed, and fly a recon ship. Still it is your fault the Shivan nail the big ship.

Any of you actually enjoy it?

A good mission? The one you have to fly the stealth, to scan several targets on the Dreadnaught. Really atmospheric that unarmed fly around the behemot.

Quote from: "russeau"
And do what, exactly? The Colossus doesn't need my help. I've already disarmed the Sathanas, there's no point in chasing after it to do 1-2% of damage on each attack run when everyone can sit back at a safe distance and the Colossus can lay the smack down with its beam cannons.

Well, I have a pilot with a Sathanas on my kill list :D I got that last 1% before the colossus, so for the record, I killed that thing flying a starfighter. :D :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 12:06:02 am by 2461 »

Offline DIO

The Roman Blunder
Lion at the door
The Great Hunt
The Sixth Wonder
Feint! Parry! Riposte!
Love the treason...
The King's Gambit
Sicilian Defense
Endgame
The Fog of War