Author Topic: Insane difficulty  (Read 8776 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
for some reason... it wont save it either
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
For some reason when I installed fs2_open the first time i got promoted to commodore.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
For some reason when I installed fs2_open the first time i got promoted to commodore.

Ooooh!  That's nice!

I like playing both FS1 and FS2 on hard difficulty. It requires more tactical know-how and you need to rely on your wingmen a lot more. Just the way I like it.

In FS2 the third mission on hard mode is the first time you'll encounter any -serious- difficulty. On the second mission I used to have a really hard time avoiding missiles and whatnot but you get used to it. On the third mission what I finally ended up doing was charging in, luring the Loki's away, then blowing them up. Stopped working eventually so I decided to just charge in and destroy them as fast as possible... it was very difficult but I survived it. Keep in mind thoug that it SHOULD be difficult :-).

Another top one is when you're flying a bomber and blockading the NTF at the jump node. When that Deimos comes on... well, you don't want to attack Deimos' in a bomber we'll just say that. They're MADE to wipe the floor with you. Best advice is to try and keep the Mjollnirs alive, but don't try to do something that's impossible. If you can't get close enough to the Deimos then just let it go... better than dying :-).

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
On the third mission, just send one of your wingmen to attack a Loki, then as the Loki's target your wingman, order him to form up on you. They'll follow him straight to you, where you'll order everyone else to open fire and ruin the Loki's ****. No hull damage to you, easy Loki kills.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Insane difficulty is getting too easy... i want it harder again but ill wait for the SCP to make another difficulty harder then insane... maybe speed up everything by 20% and up weapon damage 25%...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Play the game on x2 time compression. Should be plenty difficult that way :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

That'd be a really good idea. In real life these spaceships would be going thousands of miles per hour (not a pathetic 80 m/s, about as fast as you can drive a car), and considering the AI's suckiness it's only fair that you speed up the game to give your reactions more of a workout.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Insane is not all that bad. As Blackdove said, your wingmen also become much better on that difficulty, so if you give them a lot of manual orders some missions can actually become easier. The only mission that generally takes me more than two or three tries is Bearbaiting. At one point I used to also find loop1-3 (...but hate the traitor) very hard, but I later realized that since the no traitor flag is enabled, you can just kill all your wingmen at the beginning with no penalty (or leave Alpha 2 alive if you want, so he can talk to you later).

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers

Makes sense, in cheat mode you can go at 50% speed, and 25% speed, which wakes it kinda easy... so x2 speed would be good (though x64   :wakka:

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
We should have a competition for how fast a person can beat the game!

Put in Categories for 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. for beating missions.

Like... I bet i can beat the entire campaign on 4x compressions!

^^Not real... i could never do that^^

Have em save the videos with a hypercam so we can watch them die!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
That'd be a really good idea. In real life these spaceships would be going thousands of miles per hour (not a pathetic 80 m/s, about as fast as you can drive a car),
Uh, no. 80 m/s is around 150 mph. If you drive that fast you should go to jail.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Makes sense, in cheat mode you can go at 50% speed, and 25% speed, which wakes it kinda easy... so x2 speed would be good (though x64   :wakka:

Without invulnerability on at x64 you'd be dead in about a half a second. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta