Author Topic: Best joystick for FS2?  (Read 11310 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
If you ask me, it's more like which model car is better, Chevy or Ford. If he find a joystick he fancies, it'll work well for him in Freespace.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Alright, rolling your craft with the scroll wheel would majorly suck. Rolling your craft with a mouse that has side buttons would also suck. This is why when you play with a mouse you program rolling left and right to two buttons on the keyboard.
The mouse is just plain different than the joystick although it is similar. So, when you use the mouse, you really can't use it in the same fashion as the joystick. That's why the mouse requires different motions and movement. That's why when you play with the mouse, you have to calm down and get use to it, so you ease into the controls. Another thing with the mouse is that your craft does not keep turning endlessly if you pulled into a turn. Jacking up the mouse sensitivity only does so much for the mouse in fs2. The mouse in fs2 isn't a joystick layout for a different device, it behaves differently in a huge way. Pulling on the mouse smoothly and not so fast will be no different than playing with a joystick. It's really the same fashion as being smooth and contented with the joystick. Moving the joystick in quick panicky motions doesn't get you anywhere except a more broken controller and not very good handling of your craft at all, and the same applies to the mouse on the handling of your craft part.
Anyway, people who must jack up the sensitivity in fs2 and windows for the mouse...i don't want to know how those people will handle a joystick, they will most certainly never touch my stuff.
It's like what everyone says, fight with your gf at her place.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

I'm gonna try one more time, since no one will address this:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,43895.msg898012.html#msg898012

Ares III said (and he's not alone):
In case I was not clear enough before:
I have the mouse sensitivity cranked up to the maximum setting both outside freespace and in the fs2 options, and yet the Perseus handles like a potato.

It is not a matter of freespace flying technique, nor is it a matter of an inexperienced ignorant user who is unfamiliar with control panel or game mouse settings. Just because the first 100 people may not have this problem does not mean that the 101st and 102nd do not.

Capiche?

Offline Black-Devil

• Space Fighter
i like my Logitech Force 3D Pro, but the Saitek Cyborg 3D was althoug a good thing :D
Do not attack Alpha ONE...

Ok so I got a joystick with a throttle (not HOTAS it's on the actual joystick)... how do I get it to work in FS2?

Offline neoterran

wait the madcatz 360 controller works in fs2 ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
If you cross a few wires, a PC can pick up an Xbox/Xbox360 controller.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

The 360 controller is supposed to work with a PC's USB port without modification.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=091

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Cobra is talking about the xbox controller which you have to cross a couple of wires for. The xbox360 controller is made to work on xbox360 console and on pc's. Even the wireless version can work on pc's now because you can buy a little usb wireless receiver dongle for it.
But yes the madcatz 360 controller works great in fs2. If you're going to play with an xbox360 controller on your computer, plug it in, then use the XBCD drivers that were rewritten for the xbox360 controller. XBCD drivers own man. You mainly want the XBCD because the microsoft driver is extremely lacking, while the XBCD gives you 100% domination of the settings of the gamepad. Also, the madcatz 360 controller is better form fitting, it's 25$, and has much better positioned analog shoulder and digital buttons. It's absolutely great for fs2.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Awesome. From what I've read, the new xbox 360 controller is damn near perfect. I don't know why, it looks like a Playstation controller LOL.

I got a Razer diamondback mouse today for Christmas, it is freaking fantastic. My microsoft mouse is OUTTATHERE!

Offline miskat

Alright, I think I see something wrong here:

In that thread that keeps getting brought up, I noticed a few people complaining about the problem with a mouse being the drag->pick-upthe-mouse->move-to-top-of-pad->drag again style of play.  This is the problem I always had with the mouse.

A joystick controlls off-of-center, but a mouse does NOT in my game, which is been the ENTIRE problem.

I guess the question is: howdo you make it work?

Sorry, I don't get that with my (extremely sensitive) Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000....

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

So err... does anyone know how to get the throttle on a joystick to work in FS2?

Offline neoterran

you have to map it in the settings.
Chief Grognard.

Offline neoterran

Alright, I think I see something wrong here:

In that thread that keeps getting brought up, I noticed a few people complaining about the problem with a mouse being the drag->pick-upthe-mouse->move-to-top-of-pad->drag again style of play.  This is the problem I always had with the mouse.

A joystick controlls off-of-center, but a mouse does NOT in my game, which is been the ENTIRE problem.

I guess the question is: howdo you make it work?

I have the same problem with the mouse. You can NOT leave it to the side and it keeps moving. If you could, it would be great.
Chief Grognard.

Same here. Although I have slowed down my movements and started easing into the controls as S-99 suggested, which helps. Still, I run out of space, especially when the enemy does that thing where they circle me at max speed.

you have to map it in the settings.

I have a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro. What do you by map it? I tried in game but couldn't find anything.

Control config, find the "Absolute Throttle Axis" label (or something like that), click Bind, and move your throttle. It should recognize the input.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
It's in the control configuration. Select the Throttle, click Bind up near the upper right, then wiggle the throttle control on your joystick.
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Just a note, to anyone thinking of getting themselves an X52, just not right away, you may want to hold off until the X52 Pro supersedes it.  On the other hand, if you're gonna pick up an X52 this week at some super-mega-uber discount, by all means do so.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!